ACSM Top 20 Fitness Trends for 2012
According to an article in the Huffington Post, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) has ranked the top 20 fitness trends for 2012. A survey was completed by 2,620 ACSM certified fitness professionals. While some things have remained the same, Pilates is off the list for the second year in a row. But let’s take a look at the list… Then help decide if you think Pilates should still be considered a player in the top 20 trends.
ACSM’s Top 20 Fitness Trends for 2012
- Certified & Educated Fitness Professionals
- Strength Training
- Fitness Programs for Older Adults
- Exercise with Diet for Weight Loss
- Children & Obesity Prevention
- Personal Training
- Core Training
- Group Personal Training
- Functional Fitness
- Health Promotion at the office
- Boot Camp
- Outdoor Activities
- Reaching New Markets
- Sport-Specific Training
- Worker Incentive Programs
- Wellness Coach
- Patient Referrals
OK, Pilates teachers & students…what do you think about this list?
As I look at it – and think about what I do when working with my clients to improve their whole-body health with Pilates, I see Pilates as a key fitness player in at least the following categories:
Patient Referrals – many doctors, chiropractors, physical therapists, and massage therapists are referring their patients to Pilates.
Sport-Specific Training – I know that I’m working with runners, tri-athletes, dancers, equestrians, football players, soccer players, swimmers, cyclists, and other athletes who are using Pilates to help them stay safe, injury-free, and improve their sports performance.
Functional Fitness – Pilates is the tool I use to help my clients understand how their body is designed to move. Everything in Pilates IS functional fitness!
Group Personal Training – Yes, we teach Pilates as a group personal training experience with duets, trios, quartets…
Core Training – Pilates is primarily thought of as a “core training” experience. Of course it’s much more, but with every exercise we are working the core.
Personal Training – In my opinion, the very best way to start as a Pilates student is with one-on-one Pilates personal training. Pilates teachers ARE in the Personal Training business.
Fitness Programs for Older Adults – What is “older” anyway? Isn’t 60 the new 30? I find that many “older” adults are embracing Pilates because it is a life-time fitness activity that is much gentler on their bodies, and provides great benefits without the additional stress or strain from activities they enjoyed in their youth.
Strength Training – Pilates IS a combination of strength and flexibility with every exercise. Pilates is strength with length, a great combination for a sleek physique.
Certified & Educated Fitness Professionals – Well to be a Pilates Teacher requires a great education! A well-qualified Pilates Teacher has put in the time to develop their professional skills, has completed a comprehensive Pilates Teacher-Training program, and has the opportunity to sit for a nationally recognized Pilates Teacher Certification Exam through the Pilates Method Alliance.
So by my count….out of the top 20 fitness trends for 2012 – at least NINE of them can be achieved through Pilates!
Who says Pilates isn’t still on trend? Perhaps now Pilates has moved beyond “trendy” and into the mainstream consciousness of intelligent people looking for an efficient and effective way to improve their fitness and whole-body health.
Let’s bust this fitness “trend” list
and show the world how many benefits Pilates has to offer!
- What was your reason to start enjoying the benefits of Pilates?
- What has Pilates done for you?
- If you are a Pilates Teacher, How many of your clients use Pilates as their primary method of exercise for fitness & wellness?
Do you agree with the ACSM’s Top 20 Fitness Trends for 2012, or do you think Pilates should still be on this list?
Voice your opinion, and let’s keep Pilates relevant in the fitness industry as one of most participated activities for strength, flexibility, and a healthy mind, body, and Spirit.
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD 59.95 2 Foot Savers with Workout DVD
- The Circulator: Foot Reflexology Massage Mat $39.95 Foot Reflexology Massage Mat
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George