Body Image: Is Your Brain & Body The Same Size?
Do you feel Skinny, Perfect just the Way You Are, or Super-sized? Does how you FEEL, and how you look match? Or is your brain, and body image, a little out of alignment?
This week has been a reality check for me in evaluating the connection between my brain and body image. We are so bombarded by advertisements that tell us we’re too fat, unhealthy, and unhappy. The solution (according to the media) is pills, diet plans, Botox, and plastic surgery, then maybe someday we can look like the models in the magazines with thin thighs, flat Abs, and perfectly airbrushed make-up and sexy hair. As hard as I try to erase these images from my brain, they still are constant reminders that I’m just not good enough!
I know I’m not the only women out there who hungers for the quick fix, but knows from the bottom of her heart that the money spent, medications, pills, and potions aren’t really going to solve the problem. We have to actually like ourselves from the inside out! More than like, we have to really LOVE ourselves to value and appreciate our beautiful whole self – brain, body, and spirit!
Self-love, self-acceptance, and self-satisfaction are more valuable to our good health than anything else.
I’ve done some soul-searching this week and have come to the conclusion that I’ve still got some personal growth work to do to get my brain & body image in sync.
Some things we CAN change, and other things we’ve got to learn to accept. But I don’t think we have to accept everything! The question is, if you’re not happy or willing to accept your current situation, have you really done everything possible to make a change? Most people want the change, but aren’t willing, dedicated, or committed to doing the work, thus the media pitches for quick-fix options that don’t really solve the problems because we haven’t made permanent lifestyle adjustments.
Personally, I’ve been unhappy with how I look and my weight for most of my life. Like I said, I’m still working on it. But the constant mental drain of beating myself up because I feel fat & ugly isn’t really serving positive, lasting, long-term personal growth and self-improvement! I see that… I get it… but geeez it’s a tough mindset to change. However, I am determined to embrace my body and learn to love myself!
Where are you at on your own personal self-love/hate scale?
At the end of 2011 I made some major food and diet changes. Not because I wanted to “lose weight” (although I always do…) but for my overall health and well-being. I have not counted one calorie, deprived myself, or missed a meal.
Since January LOTS has changed! I no longer have joint pain, my body is stronger, and I’m sleeping better. Yesterday I tried on every pair of pants in my closet to get rid of what doesn’t fit. Perhaps 20-25 pairs of pants later…. The 8′s, 10′s, 12′s, and 14′s are now packed away. (almost everything in my closet!) Just for fun, and so i’m not running around naked… I went shopping for a new pair of jeans.
Here’s what happened… My head walked my body right up to the 8-10′s jeans and the large to x-large tops even though these were the sizes I’d just boxed up that we’re way too big. Now, guess what size I actually purchased… Size 2! TWO’s!!! Really???? Are you kidding??? I’ve NEVER been a size 2! Bought 1 pair of pants, size 2, and one pair of jeans (without any Lycra/spandex) size 4 just because I was afraid this size 2 special might only be a one-day event for my body.
Driving home it dawned on me that even though my body has changed, when I look in the mirror I’m not seeing the little size 2 me, I’m still looking at the size 12 me. I don’t love, trust, of believe that this is really me! When I look at what the scale says, I still feel frustrated that I’m not where I want to be, I’m not sure I’ll ever get there, and by what the scale says I should be a solid 8 or 10. But I really want to keep the new “little 2″ me happy. And I know the only way to do this is to love and encourage me to stick with the lifestyle changes I’ve made to get here, as well as not forget to celebrate my success.
Actual weight is not as important as how I feel, and my good health! And holy crap, what size will I be when I actually do drop that last 15 pounds I think I need to get rid of?
I guess the point of this all this is to encourage you to take a look at the congruency between what you think about your body and your body.
- Be Happy
- Love Yourself Inside & Out
- Love Your Body at Every Size
- Appreciate & Celebrate Your Beauty – Mind, Body, & Spirit
If there’s something you want to change, love those parts anyway! Then take action and see what you can change. A lot more can shift for a positive result when your riding on the wings of light & love.
I love my size 12 body. I love my tiny, new, size 2 body. And I love YOU too!
Thanks for reading my posts. Hope I’ve planted a seed of self-love for YOUR body in your brain today. Now water it and watch it grow.
Have a Happy & Healthy Day!
Aliesa George, PMA-CPT
Pilates, Foot Fitness
& Functional Movement
for Whole-Body Health
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Pilates Arc Barrel Combo $189 Stamina® Pilates Arc Barrel, “A Barrel of Fun!” (Book or eBook) and Workout Video
- Pilates Arc Barrel $169 Stamina® Pilates Arc Barrel
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Circulator Reflexology Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- The BIG Foot Bundle $125 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD, Circulator Foot Reflexology Mat and Two Pairs of Toe Sox
- Baby Steps Bundle $59.50 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Therabands (Blue/Green) and Circulator Foot Reflexology Mat
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD 59.95 2 Foot Savers with Workout DVD
- The Circulator: Foot Reflexology Massage Mat $39.95 Foot Reflexology Massage Mat
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout Audio $37 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout Audio
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Foam Rollers $20 Pilates Foam Roller in Three Styles
- Toe Sox $15 Black Pilates and Yoga Socks
- Therabands $10 Exercise Bands in a Variety of Four Strength and Resistance Levels
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 1:12 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Tips & Tricks for a Stress-Free Life $49 eBook and 52-Week eCourse
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD/VHS
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Theme of the Day $15 37-Page Booklet by Aliesa George
- Centerworks® Pilates Training Manuals $225 Eight Pilates Teacher-Training “How-to” Manuals by Aliesa George
- The Barrels Manual $40 100-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- The Cadillac Manual $40 113-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- The Chairs Manual $40 74-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- The Reformer Manual $40 117-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- Basic Matwork Manual $25 68-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- Intermediate Matwork Manual $25 68-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- Advanced Matwork Manual $25 56-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- Supplemental Equipment Manual $15 57-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George