Some of these exercises seem to simple. However, it makes sense that they would be simple. After all, you don't want to overuse your feet if you are just trying to build strength. I really like the idea of walking barefoot to gain strength in your feet. That can help your feet much more that people may think. It is so simple, however, that it has to work. http://www.drlbilling.com/
5 Exercises For a Foot Strengthening Fitness Program
Why is a Foot Fitness Program Important to Incorporate into Your Wellness Lifestyle?
Our feet are the most used & abused part of the body. The arches of the feet provide us with flexibility, help to absorb shock, distribute the weight of the body, and assist the feet in adapting to surface changes when walking, running, & climbing. Lack of proper foot and/or arch strength & flexibility can contribute to fallen arches, ankle, knee, hip, back, shoulder, & neck problems, and potential pain or injury. Good balance and body control is necessary for daily living activities as well as sport performance. Our feet play an important roll in maintaining posture and health.
You can quickly and easily help improve foot muscle strength, flexibility and movement with a focused foot posture program and specific foot care exercises. [Before following any advice, it is recommended that you consult with your physician if you suffer from any health problems or special conditions, or are in doubt about the suitability of any exercise.]
Theraband Foot Series
The following series of exercises can assist you in developing improved strength & flexibility for your toes, arches, feet, and lower legs.
The Theraband foot exercises can be done seated in a chair, or lying on your back. Place the band lengthwise along the entire foot. Hold the ends of the bands with your hands. The tighter you hold the band (closer to your ankle) the more resistance/more difficult the exercise. The stronger the Theraband, the more challenging the exercises will be. Bands come in a variety of colors for increasing the difficulty. Work to maintain good knee, ankle, and foot alignment during each the exercises.
- Beginners ~ Do Exercise #1 on the right leg, then switch to do the left. Then continue to #2 rt./lft, 3 ,4, & 5.
- Intermediate/Advanced ~ Do Exercise #1-5 on the right foot, then switch to do #1-5 on the left foot.
- These foot-fitness exercises can be done without a band to start ,& with a band for increased resistance
- Therabands come in several different colors and strengths to challenge your fitness level.
- Be sure you use a resistance BAND not a Tube. Need to purchase? You’ll find individual Therabands and other great Foot Fitness products in our Foot Care Product section
(It is recommended that you remove any jewelry and wear socks during these exercises to protect the theraband from tearing.)
Exercise #1 ~ Toe Curls – Flex the foot (pull the ankle back towards your shin) Hold the ankle still, and point just the toes. (Like a monkey, grabbing a branch with its feet.) Release the toes.
Repeat 5 times.
Exercise #2 ~ Point & Flex the Foot – Begin with the ankle and toes flexed towards your shin. Move the ankle first, pointing the foot, then point the toes (like a ballerina on her tip-toes) Release the toes first, then flex the ankle back to the starting position.
Repeat 5-10 times.
Exercise #3 ~ Curl & Point the Foot – Starting position as #2 above, only curl the toes first, then point the ankle. Holding the toes curled, flex the ankle back towards the shin, and then flex the toes.
Repeat 5-10 times.
Exercise #4 ~ Ankle Circles – Away from the body – Articulate through the toes and ankle while completing big, slow circles of the foot. As the foot moves away from the body, press to the ball of the big toe, and point the big toe first, then one by one from the big toe to the little toe until you are in a good “ballerina point”. Hold the point as you pass through the top of your circle, and release the toes from the big toe to the little toe to finish in a strong flexed foot position for a calf stretch.
Repeat 5-10 circles in this direction.
Exercise #5 ~ Ankle Circles – Towards the body – Articulate through the toes and ankle while completing big, slow circles of the foot. As the foot moves towards the center of the body, press through the little toe side of the foot – pointing the little toe first. Then one by one point the toes from the little toe to the big toe until you are in a good “ballerina point”. Hold the point as you pass through the top of your circle, and release the toes from the little toe to the big toe to finish in a strong flexed foot position for a calf stretch.
Repeat 5-10 circles in this direction.
Looking for more great foot care solutions? Check out our foot care products!
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Arc Barrel Combo $227 Stamina® Pilates Arc Barrel, “A Barrel of Fun!” (Book or eBook) and Workout Video
- Pilates Arc Barrel $199 Stamina® Pilates Arc Barrel
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- The BIG Foot Bundle $125 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD, Circulator Foot Reflexology Mat and Two Pairs of Toe Sox
- Baby Steps Bundle $59.50 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Therabands (Blue/Green) and Circulator Foot Reflexology Mat
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD 59.95 2 Foot Savers with Workout DVD
- The Circulator: Foot Reflexology Massage Mat $39.95 Foot Reflexology Massage Mat
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout Audio $37 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout Audio
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Foam Rollers $20 Pilates Foam Roller in Three Styles
- Toe Sox $15 Black Pilates and Yoga Socks
- Therabands $10 Exercise Bands in a Variety of Four Strength and Resistance Levels
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Tips & Tricks for a Stress-Free Life $49 eBook and 52-Week eCourse
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Theme of the Day $15 37-Page Booklet by Aliesa George
- Centerworks® Pilates Training Manuals $225 Eight Pilates Teacher-Training “How-to” Manuals by Aliesa George
- The Barrels Manual $40 100-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- The Cadillac Manual $40 113-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- The Chairs Manual $40 74-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- The Reformer Manual $40 117-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- Basic Matwork Manual $25 68-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- Intermediate Matwork Manual $25 68-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- Advanced Matwork Manual $25 56-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- Supplemental Equipment Manual $15 57-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George