Improving Plantar Fasciitis requires Paying Attention to a Lot More than Just Your Feet
Over the years, I can’t even remember how many clients have walked thru my doors complaining of foot pain caused by Plantar Fasciitis. Some were avid runners, others were nurses or school teachers, they either have jobs that required them to be on their feet all day, or they’ve made such poor footwear and shoe choices that now foot pain and plantar fasciitis were chronic foot pain problem!
I recently read an article by Rick Merriam, “Plantar Fasciitis has very little to do with your Foot.” This is a good article that is a strong reminder to me of why I’ve always focused on improving strength to affect muscle release, rather than just “stretching.” Balanced muscle development is required for a healthy body to move efficiently and without pain.
This is also why regardless of whether you’ve got foot pain, knee, pain, hip pain, back pain, or neck and shoulder pain, the first thing to become more aware of are your posture habits to stand, sit, and walk. If you can’t stand upright and breath with good posture habits, and optimal body support to help lift you UP off your feet, and keep your body in good alignment to move efficiently, it will be impossible to start making changes that will stick, no matter what the issue is you’re dealing with.
Fascia Release work can help, since it goes many levels beyond just “stretching” to affect opening the space inside the body to help eliminate pain and move more freely. (And with my training as a Rossiter® coach, I am a big fan of incorporating Fascia release work into your wellness program.) But even with any method of fascia release there are three interesting things to consider:
- Where you “hurt” might not be exactly where you need to work/stretch to get lasting relief.
- “Stretching” opens space, thus creating more instability.
- To stand, sit, and move in a healthy pain-free body, you will need: Space between the joints to move freely. Balanced muscle development to provide stability/strength. And proper timing of muscle contraction / muscle firing patterns for work and release to happen effectively (with right muscles) to enjoy pain-free movement and develop whole-body health.
It’s a lot to pay attention to. Body awareness is key. A better understanding of how everything is interconnected, and your good/bad posture and movement habits can make a huge difference, and help you more quickly improve your Plantar fasciitis problems.
This is why Pilates is such a great modality for helping improve whole-body health. It’s the whole-body that needs to be addressed in relationship to the feet. Plus, getting off the feet to start making changes is the fastest way to feel better. Think about it, how compromised is your gait, stride, walking, and movement habits when you’re gimping around because your feet hurt?
What’s going to help you the most to start improving your Plantar Fasciitis problems… hard to say without a personalized evaluation, but a few things are key:
- Posture Awareness and Improvement (All day long as well as during exercise)
- Better Breathing Habits
- Improving Core Support
- Improving Hip and Shoulder Mechanics (Yes really!)
- Getting the ALL the Muscles in your Ankles, Arches, and Toes Activated to Work Well.
We shove our feet in shoes, whether they’re “supportive” or “minimalist” and think that our feet are doing their job, when in fact IF the muscles were working properly, everything would be in balance and you would not have plantar fasciitis or any other foot pain problems.
I’ve had more than my fair share of foot pain problems… so believe me I’m preaching to the choir, speaking from personal experience, and have worked with thousands of clients over the past thirty-plus years! And therefore if you come to me complaining of pain from plantar fasciitis, I’m going to look at your whole-body posture, and breathing habits, core support, body mechanics, and begin with a focus on foot strengthening exercises, for the ankles, arches and toes, because rest and stretching will never get the right muscles working to better support you. Plus, your feet are the foundation for your posture! If things aren’t working well at the soles of your feet – ultimately everything stacked above is going to be compromised too! The question becomes, is it compromised enough to cause pain somewhere else – yet…?
There is a Lot YOU can do to improve your Plantar Fasciitis problems with exercise!
I encourage you to get started improving posture and core support. Check out the Centerworks quick Posture Quiz to see what you might need to be more aware of when you’re standing on your feet. When you’re ready to take the stress of your poor, over-worked, painful plantar fascia, and want to improve the strength and muscle balance in your feet to get relief, consider focusing on foot strengthening exercises and start with the Terrific Toe exercises in the book Fantastic Feet!
Your toes should be able to work very much like your fingers – problem is, we don’t use them enough. And the muscles under the soles of the feet that are needed to help balance the lift of your arches are all directly related to how well you’re able to articulate your toes in ALL directions. (I’d place a wager on the fact that if you have plantar fasciitis pain, you’re going to be just like me, and find that to get started with your Fantastic Feet, Terrific Toe exercises, that your hands will be moving your toes, more than your toe muscles.) Why can’t you move your toes well (or without getting a foot cramp) because the muscles are weak! There is not enough strength with the right muscles on the bottom of your feet to support you – your plantar fascia is attempting to do the actual work of your muscles and that’s not it’s job. It’s failing miserably and you’re got foot pain to prove it!
My best recommendation, (Yes, now it’s self-promotion, but only because I’d really like you to be able to enjoy life with less foot pain.) Regardless of whether you run, or just walk… Get a Runfit Kit™. For about the price of one good pair of running shoes, you can get all the foot-fitness training resources you need to improve foot care, and incorporate foot strengthening (and stretching) exercises into your weekly workout routine. Pay attention to your posture, and take better care of your feet to help get your body back in balance to alleviate plantar fasciitis problems. It’s going to take some work, but you can do it! Take good care of your feet, they’ve got to last you a lifetime.
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD 59.95 2 Foot Savers with Workout DVD
- The Circulator: Foot Reflexology Massage Mat $39.95 Foot Reflexology Massage Mat
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George