The Pilates Method
Pilates is whole-body-commitment to improve whole-body health for Every Body!
A Pilates workout program is one of the best ways to improve your whole-body health and in a very unique way it can help you get in touch with your body, mind, and spirit. As a mind-body wellness program, Pilates is focused fitness training.
Developed by Joseph H. Pilates in the early 1920’s, it has been used for general fitness, rehabilitation, and to help increase athletic performance. Regardless of your age, or current health and fitness level there is an appropriate place for you to start practicing Pilates.
The Pilates system can enhance many different aspects of a healthy lifestyle, and it’s never too late to improve posture, gain strength, flexibility, and improve your whole-body health!
There are Many Great Benefits to Discover with Pilates:
- Improved Breathing
- Efficient Movement
- Better Mental Focus and Improved Concentration
- Enhanced Body Awareness and Body Control
- Improved Muscle Strength
- Improved Balance
- Better Coordination
- Reduced Stress
- Increased Muscle Flexibility and Joint Range of Motion and more…
The Pilates Method is a system of learning how to develop healthy movement habits. If bones of our skeleton are in the right alignment, our muscles can move efficiently to perform any task required. But for most people there is a tendency to have developed dominant and weaker muscles, sometimes this is due to an injury or accident, other times it’s because our work, sport, or daily activities have us doing more with some muscles and less with others. Over time, these imbalances can lead to pain and injury! And long-term might result in chronic poor health. But a good Pilates program can help increase your awareness and help you discover how to make positive changes to improve your health!
Over time, these great benefits and new health and movement habits begin to transfer into other areas of your life! The results are that everything you do can be accomplished with less effort giving you more energy to enjoy life!
There are 2 Main Aspects to an Effective Pilates Training Program:
- Pilates Matwork – a series of floor work exercises that require no special equipment.The Matwork exercises can actually be harder to begin with, because you don’t have any assistance to support the body while you’re finding the right muscles to do the work! Because of this, many Pilates teachers will “modify” exercises for beginners until you build the strength and body awareness needed to do things right.
- Pilates Equipment Training – specialized equipment developed by Joseph H. Pilates for his exercise system. (The Reformer, Trapeze Table, Wunda Chair, High Chair, Spine Corrector, Ladder Barrel, Small Barrels, Ped-o-Pull, Foot Corrector and other equipment.)Pilates Equipment Training can be done one-on-one, or in a small group class. Individual training is the best place to start if you’ve had any injuries or health conditions that might require special care to help get your exercise program off to a safe start, and it’s always great to know exactly what you need to do just for you to improve your health! The Pilates equipment helps put the body in a low to non-weight bearing position, so there is less stress on your joints and more support to help you develop great strength, flexibility, and whole-body health.
Pilates is a low repetition system. Generally 3-5 repetitions, up to 10 are performed. More is NOT better. Any exercise Done WELL for fewer repetitions means your muscles will remember how to do things right! With each workout, the goal is to strive to execute each exercise and movement better than you did the time before – so you’re always paying attention and working diligently to improve your health.
There are Over 500 Exercises in the Pilates System
So there is always more to learn, discover, and do to challenge and improve your health! And while it is ideal to utilize the whole system, both Matwork and Equipment, for maximum benefits, not every exercise is appropriate for every body, so it’s best to start learning with a well-qualified Pilates teacher who can help develop a program specific to your needs and goals, and to help be sure that you’re doing each exercise correctly to get maximum benefits from your workouts!
Health and Fitness Activities You May Enjoy
Ready to get started? Centerworks has several exercise equipment packages to help you improve your health and fitness!
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD 59.95 2 Foot Savers with Workout DVD
- The Circulator: Foot Reflexology Massage Mat $39.95 Foot Reflexology Massage Mat
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George