Seated Knee Strengthening Exercise to Help Resolve Knee Pain
This is a great knee strengthening exercise to help strengthen the thighs and help reduce knee pain . It is a very simple and easy exercise that you can do in a chair. Practicing this can help make you more aware of keeping your weight even on both legs. (When you’re experiencing knee pain, the tendency is to shift all your weight off the leg that hurts!) By practicing this exercise, not only are you helping to strengthen the leg that’s lifting, but by keeping your weight even and you lift one leg, you’re also working on the supporting leg strength for better balance and body control.
How To Do The Seated Knee Lift Exercise
- Sit Towards the Front Edge of a Chair with Your Legs Hip-Width Apart.
- Keep Your Weight Even on Both Hips and Maintain Good Posture.
- Feet Firmly Planted on the Ground. Both Shoulders Square, Level, and Even.
- Keep the Abs Lifted and the Shoulders Relaxed.
- Inhale and Exhale to pull your Abs up and Float One Knee Off the Floor and Hold.
- Inhale and Exhale to Lower the Knee.
- Repeat this with the Other Knee.
- Alternate Legs for 8-15 repetitions. Or to build endurance do 5-10 times lifting the Right Knee, then 5-10 times lifting the Left Knee.
Tips to Help Your Exercise Technique:
- Sit in front of a mirror to watch your posture and body alignment while performing the Seated Knee Lift Exercise.
- It will be easier to do the exercise if you are sitting in a tall chair, so your thighs start angled downward. If you are starting with your thighs horizontal to the floor, or knees higher than your hips, the exercise will be more difficult.
- If your shoulder drops, hips twist, or a butt cheek lifts off the floor as you do the exercise you’ve lost your posture and body alignment.
- Be sure that when you lift your knee the leg stays perpendicular on the floor. If the knee turns out or in – make an adjustment from your hips to correct your alignment.
- Keep your butt firmly planted on the chair.
- Be sure that your supporting leg stays still also. Watch that the standing knee doesn’t flop in our out while you’re lifting one leg up.
This is relatively easy and simple exercise, but if you have experienced a knee injury, or have knee pain, you might be surprised at how challenging it will be to do well. Ideally, you will feel your Abs and the front of your thighs working while you lift and lower the leg. You can practice this Seated Knee Lift Exercise anytime you’re sitting in a chair! Great to do while you’re watching TV!
When we are in pain, our posture gets out of whack. With knee pain, you might discover that you are creating some muscle imbalances to stay off that sore knee. Being more conscious of your posture habits when you’re seated and standing can help strengthen the muscles you need for better support. Check out the benefits of the Posture Principles for Health system to keep you standing tall, healthy, and pain-free!
About Posture Principles for Health
“This 60-page study guide and DVD work exceptionally well to increase postural awareness, help reduce joint stress, and improve balance and control. Whether you’re a novice in need of developing workout programs to correct posture or an expert looking to teach posture principles to students, this collection is thorough and spot-on.”
–as reviewed in
Pilates Style magazine
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD 59.95 2 Foot Savers with Workout DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George