Simple Seated Knee Exercise
Strengthen the Quadriceps & Improve Patella (knee cap) Tracking to Help Reduce Knee Pain
This is the second knee exercise in the “TV” Knee Series to help strengthen the muscles around the knees especially the Quadriceps and also improve tracking of the Patella (knee cap) as you straighten the leg. This is a simple knee exercise that you can do at work or at home (even while you’re watching TV or working in front of your computer!) All you need is a chair.
If the muscles of the Quadriceps along the front of the thigh are not working properly, the knee cap may not be tracking in its proper groove, which can be a contributing factor to knee injury or pain.
Check out the Knee Cap Dance exercise if you need to practice a preparatory exercise before progressing to this more challenging “TV” series, Seated Knee exercise.
Seated Knee Lift and Extend (“TV” Knee Exercise #2)
Simple Steps for the Seated Knee Lift Exercise
(“TV” Knee Series – Exercise #2)
- Sit on the edge of a chair. (if it’s taller so your knees are lower than your hips to start, the exercise will be easier.)
- Be sure that you maintain good body alignment and tall posture all throughout the exercise.
- Sitting in front of a mirror can help you see your posture and alignment to be sure you’re doing things as correctly as possible.
- Take a deep breath in to sit taller, as you inhale, pull your stomach in for better support and lift your knee up.
- Inhale and hold the leg up, exhale and straighten the leg while lifting or pulling the knee cap up the front of the thigh. Hold this position for a few seconds.
- Inhale to bend the knee – still holding the leg up, and exhale to pull your Abs in, and lower the leg back to the floor.
- Repeat this same exercise with your other leg.
- Do 5-10 repetitions on each side, or as many repetitions as you can while maintaining good alignment and posture.
This Seated Knee exercise for the Quadriceps and Patella seems simple, but the challenge lies in your ability to maintain tall posture and proper body and leg alignment throughout the exercise. Not only can this exercise help to reducing knee pain by improving the strength of the muscles around your knees, it also helps strengthen your abdominal and back muscles for better posture.
Use this simple seated knee exercise to help keep the pressure off your legs AND still get a great workout. Stay tuned for more “TV” Knee Series – Knee Strengthening exercises to help you enjoy pain-free knees, and live a happy and healthier life!
If you missed the post for the 1st “TV” Knee Series Exercise – Click Here to read, refresh, and review the Seated Knee Lift Exercise.
There are 5 Exercises in this Simple “TV” Knee Training Exercise Series. Don’t miss the posts for the next 3 knee strengthening exercises… Sign up now for the Centerworks RSS feed.
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD 59.95 2 Foot Savers with Workout DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George