Simple Standing Knee Exercise
Knee Exercise that Strengthen the Quadriceps & Reduce Knee Pain
A while back, I posted a youtube video on the seated Knee Cap Dance exercise which has gotten a great response. A viewer requested to see the same knee exercise done in a standing position and this same knee cap movement is really important to learn and be able to do both seated and standing to be sure that we’re not aggravating or creating potential knee pain.
One of the things that can contribute to knee pain is standing with locked knees. The Standing Knee Cap Dance is a great knee exercise to practice to learn how to better support the knee joint.
Knee Cap Dance Exercise – Standing
When you’re standing, if your weight is back on your heels, chances are your knees will lock and this is not a healthy position for the knees!
- Keep a little more weight over the balls of your feet and your toes. Ideally, you’ll be standing on straight legs with unlocked knees. Or consciously maintain a soft bend at the knee.
- The goal is to maintain a soft knee bend and use the Quadriceps muscle to lift the knee caps up the front of your thighs. It’s exactly the same as the seated exercise. Click Here to review the steps for the Seated Knee Cap Dance Exercise.
- Standing upright and maintaining good posture makes this standing exercise a little more challenging than the seated version. You”ll have to pay attention and feel what your legs are doing to avoid locking the knees while lifting the knee caps.
- Practice lifting the knee caps up and holding them for few seconds, then relax. (being sure not to lock the knees!)
- Repeat this for 8-10 repetitions, or as often as you like. You can do this exercise almost anywhere and nobody‘s going to know that you’re practicing a great knee-strengthening exercise!
2 Knee Exercise Variations To Practice
- Both Knee Caps at the Same Time
Almost everyone has a dominant side and a weaker side. Strive to pull both knee caps up evenly for balanced muscle development.
- Alternate Knee Cap Lift
Practice alternate lifts. Pull the right knee cap up, then the left. When we walk, our legs do different things at the same time. Practicing a smooth and even alternate knee cap lift in a standing position is helping strengthen your knees for a healthy stride.
The Standing Knee Cap Dance Exercise is a quick and easy exercise to help strengthen your knees and teach you how to support a straight leg position to stand with good posture and avoid knee pain. This is a simple and effective exercise that you can do anywhere, anytime and then ideally this knee cap lifting action will work well when you need to support a straight leg for all your other Pilates, Yoga, sports training, and daily life activities.
Have fun practicing your Standing Knee Cap Dance Exercise for healthy and happy knees!
Are you “on the list?” Get more Pilates, foot fitness, and functional movement tips to help you tweak your exercise technique and enjoy Wellness Success – subscribe today to the Centerworks Newsletter to receive a monthly / bi-monthly notification in your inbox for quick and easy access to all the new articles & videos posted on the Centerworks Blog!
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD 59.95 2 Foot Savers with Workout DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George