Spine Rotation & Twisting: “Secret” Training Tips
Centerworks® “Secret” Training Tips for Mobilizing the Ribcage
Part Three: Ribcage and Spine Rotation and Twisting
When we twist the spine, all sorts of crazy things tend to happen! Our hips and pelvis try to do all the work, we side bend, hike a hip, lead with an elbow or shoulder, shift our weight, arch the back, just about anything we can do to avoid actually moving the spine and turning the whole ribcage. In a seated position, think of the spine now as a vertical “rotisserie.” Since the ribs are attached to the spine in the back, and breastbone in the front, the only way to turn the spine is to rotate the entire ribcage! If you are twisting to the right… the right side of the cage is moving backwards, and the left side of the cage is moving forwards.
Remember, the front ribs are attached to the breastbone, and the breastbone is one solid piece. As your spine is turning, your breastbone must rotate too!
Think of the breastbone like a paddle or revolving door. One side has to be going backwards, while the other goes forwards to move the front ribs. Again…if the Pec muscles are held tight it will restrict movement of the front ribs and breastbone on one side to go back in space, limiting the amount of rotation you are able to achieve.
Hike a hip, lead with the elbow and shoulder, or any other “cheat” you might try and do instead of mobilizing the ribcage, and you’ll discover that you hit your end range of motion quickly. But get every segment of your back moving, and the whole ribcage and breastbone turning with you and you’ll be amazed at how far you turn. Spot check your progress by paying attention to what you can see behind you when you rotate your spine!
You’ll find some excellent twisting tips and techniques in the Centerworks® 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine Webinar.
Check out the entire Mobilizing the Ribcage Series:
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD 59.95 2 Foot Savers with Workout DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George