Using Speed Workouts to Improve Fitness
I have NEVER been a speedy runner… In fact in my mid-twenties I quit running altogether, when I realized that no matter the age bracket I would never be fast enough to be competitive and actually place, much less win a race.
Now I look back on this poor attitude as a sad reason to give up a fun and social fitness activity. I’m thankful that with age comes wisdom, and I’ve accepted my body’s natural slow pace.
While I’ll probably never win a race, starting AND finishing is still a great accomplishment! And even though I know that I’m usually slower than everybody else, thanks to my Pilates and Foot Fitness training, I’m healthy, fit, injury-free, and still motivated and willing to get out there and work on getting faster!
I just read an article by Bob Cooper in Runner’s World, Speed Workouts to Gauge Fitness, and it’s well worth reading for those of you interested in working on improving your running speed and learning how using speed workouts can improve your fitness.
Whether your goal is to run a 5K, 10K, half-marathon, or full marathon it’s nice to be able to actually see improvement in both your fitness level and your speed. The recommended Go-To-Workouts in this article can give you some guidance to help you get to your goals.
Regardless of your age, current fitness level, or ability, if you’re willing to put forth the effort, eventually you’ll reap the rewards.
My long-term goal is to be able to run a consistent 10 minute mile-pace with ease. (At any and all distances, starting with a 5K…) I know to some of you avid runners out there even a 10 minute/mile pace seems ridiculously slow. But when I reach my goal I’ll be whacking 5-6 minutes a mile off my normal pace! I hope this is encouragement for those of you out there who might feel embarrassed to get out and run. We all have to start someplace. Start where you are today, maybe speed isn’t the most important thing for you, yet, but when you’re ready to turn it up a notch follow a plan for speed workouts to safely get stronger, faster, and fitter.
What’s your personal running goal for distance, speed, and fitness?
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD 59.95 2 Foot Savers with Workout DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George