5 Tips to Running Healthy and Avoiding Injury
If your goal is to enjoy running healthy and avoiding injury, (which should be the goal of every avid recreational runner and professional athlete) there are a few very important key points to keep in mind while training to ensure you stay healthy and injury-free.
I recently read an excellent article by Jennifer Van Allen in Runner’s World, 5 Keys to Running Healthy and Staying Injury-Free. The recommended “rules” for running healthy definitely apply to runners of all ages and abilities, but I also believe that ALL five of these great guidelines are Universal Keys to enjoying good health.
Regardless of your sport or activity, to keep your body strong, fit, healthy, and injury-free you would be well advised to follow these five simple guidelines:
- Avoid TOO Much, TOO Soon, and TOO Fast.
- Learn to Listen to Your Body
- Wear the Right Shoes
- Chart Your Progress and Take Good Notes
The list above is the condensed version for those of you reading this who just want to get straight to the point! For details, and to read the full Runner’s World article on running healthy, click here.
As a proponent of Pilates, foot-fitness, and functional movement to develop healthy movement habits for everything you do, I believe that cross-training is one of the most important parts of developing a well-balanced body to keep you injury-free.
Of course as a runner, the only way to improve for your sport is to get out there and run. But overuse injuries, poor posture, and bad gait habits can keep you from getting your miles in and wreak havoc on every single piece of your body from your feet all the way up to your head. Taking time off when you’re hurt to rest and recover will eventually take the pain away, but if you never work on improving your body mechanics and re-balancing overused and over/underdeveloped muscles you’ll be running from injury to injury, instead of running to enjoy good health. Swimming, biking, and rowing are all great ways to get your cardio in without pounding the pavement. But by adding Pilates, foot-fitness, Yoga, and other strength & conditioning activities to your weekly workout routine can in the long run (no pun intended) make you a better runner and help keep you injury-free.
Take these five tips to running healthy and avoiding injury to heart. Pay attention to your body, treat it with kindness and care, make time to cross-train, and enjoy a lifetime of running healthy to maintain and improve your whole-body health.
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ 2.0 $195 Includes Fantastic Feet Book, Arch Activators (pair), Toe Bandz Kit (4 bands + mini massage ball), Toe Separators Kit (1 pair skinny & 1 pair wide), Super-Ankle Board + exercise booklet and video training program, Foot Fitness COMBO Exercise Selection Guide Booklet -- All in a convenient, portable mesh carry bag; PLUS the Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Fantastic Feet mini-foot fitness kit (sticks, stones, TheraBand, and mini-massage ball), RunFit Kit 2.0 Quick Reference Guide (laminated charts) (to help you pick the best Run-Fit training tool/exercises to get started, based on the foot-care issues you may be dealing with…), Run-Fit Kit backpack to keep everything together, easy to find, and ready to use for your at-home, and on-the-go workouts.
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $10 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $10 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $10 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $10 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $59 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $27 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $14 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George