A Simple Exercise To Develop Better Breathing Habits with Exercise
Tips to Incorporate Pilates-Style Back Rib Breathing to Movement and Exercise
In the last breathing article I shared with you two breathing exercises to help start retraining healthy breathing habits to feel your breath go into the back of your ribcage to lengthen the spine and improve posture.
Hopefully, you’ve been practicing and it’s getting easier to feel your ribs moving as you inhale and exhale! Today we are going to progress this concept and focus on better breathing habits when you move.
The simple Seated Hinge & Roll Up exercise is a great way to practice your Pilates-style, posterio-lateral, back-rib breathing technique while your body is moving through space.
The Seated Hinge & Roll Up Exercise
- Sit on the edge of a chair in a good tall, posture position.
- Arms can hang by the sides, or rest on the knees if needed for more support.
- Inhale to sit taller.
- Exhale and start hinging the body forward, tilting from the hips to move the pelvis, lengthen the ribs away from the hips and finish by curve the spine forward laying the chest on the thighs. (The torso will be draped over the legs.)
- Hold in this forward over the legs position and take 3-5 breaths into the back ribs. Inhaling opens the back ribs and lengthens the spine, exhaling allows you to drape deeper over the thighs to stretch the back, and relax the neck and shoulders.
- Inhale and exhale to begin rolling back up to sit tall. Start from the tailbone, move the hips, and stack the body back up tall from the bottom of the spine, one vertebra at a time, until you’re up in a beautiful tall seated posture position.
- Repeat this exercise 3-5 times.
Notes: If you’re back muscles are stiff or tight, and it’s uncomfortable to lay forward on your thighs, place a pillow or two on your legs to lay forward in a higher position. As you get more comfortable, your back ribs stretch apart, and your back muscles become more flexible, you’ll be able to take the pillows away, work in a bigger range of motion, and do the full exercise hinging forward to lay your chest on your thighs.
If your abdominals are weak and you find it challenging to roll back up to sit tall, place your hands on your knees and use your arms to assist. (Strive to use as much abdominal support as possible) as your back muscles and belly gets stronger, you will be able to roll up without hand support.
This simple Hinge & Roll Up exercise is great as a warm-up for better breathing habits. it also can help stretch and strengthen your back muscles, mobilize your hips, improve body awareness, activate your abdominals, and train sequential articulation of your spine. LOTS of great health benefits with one easy exercise.
Practice this as a morning wake-up exercise for your body. Take Seated Hinge & Roll Up breathing / stretch breaks in your chair at your desk throughout the day. Or do a set before you go to bed, to relax and unwind. Any time is a great time to pause, focus on better breathing habits, and stretch and strengthen your back muscles to move well and be well.
Tune in and touch base with your body. What do you notice about how you feel, how you sit, and how deeply you are able to breathe before and after your Seated Hinge & Roll Up exercise? By checking in with yourself, you’ll start to realize how powerful better breathing habits can be to improve your posture, movement, and whole-body health.
Click to read the other articles in this breathing series:
Better Breathing Habits to Improve Posture and Reduce Pain
Two Simple Breathing Exercises: Improve Posture and Be Well
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George