Improve Ankle Strength and Flexibility with This Easy Foot Fitness Exercise: Ankle Circles
Here’s a video demonstration of a quick and easy foot care exercise that you can practice anywhere to help improve ankle strength and ankle flexibility to keep your feet healthy and fit!
One of the great things about our feet and ankles is the opportunity for a good range of motion in lots of different directions. However, we mostly walk and run, which has our ankles moving in a flexing and pointing direction. When we do side-to-side activities or something that requires balance our ankles are held more rigid for stability. Stability and Mobility are both important. So what can we do to help improve the flexibility and mobility of our ankles? Ankle Circles!
While you can practice ankle circles with your shoes on, I prefer to practice barefooted so I can more easily see and use my whole foot, ankle, arches, toes.
- Start lying down in a comfortable position Hug one knee to your chest and keeping everything still but your foot while beginning to move your ankle in a circle motion.
- Strive to circle in the biggest range of motion possible. Notice if your ankle moves easily one direction and not so far the other. Pass through a “ballerina point” position, and the deepest flexed foot position possible. Strive to move the foot evenly to the right and left sides. Allow your toes to work and release as you carve the circle.
- Do 5-10 circles one direction, then reverse the circle. After you’ve done one foot, repeat your 5-10 ankle circles in each direction with the other foot.
I’ve given you the easiest position to start this exercise so you can just focus on finding and improving the range of motion at the ankle. However, if you want to add an additional stretch for your hamstring and calf muscles, practice your ankle circles with a straight leg to the ceiling.
Hope you’ve enjoyed this Fantastic Feet exercise today. For more great Foot Fitness information and helpful foot care products visit Centerworks.com
Have fun incorporating ankle circles into your exercise program, and enjoy the benefits of stronger more flexible ankles for better balance and body control.
Have an Awesome Day!
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George