Are You at Risk for Osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is the loss of bone density, and can go unnoticed and undetected until you start breaking bones – which is a scary thought because by the time your bone density is low enough to cause fractures, it is more of a challenge to exercise and enjoy a healthy quality of life without fear of additional injury or accident.
When bones begin to lose mass, they become brittle, weak, and are more likely to break. It may be a fall or even a sneeze! Early diagnosis makes a difference, and while osteoporosis is a debilitating disease, it can be prevented, treated, and it’s never too late to take steps to protect your bones.
Who’s at Risk for Getting Osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis isn’t just a disease for senior citizens…it can strike at any age. According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, millions of Americans are at risk, and while women are four times more likely than men to develop osteoporosis, it is something that both men and women should take steps to prevent.
Risk Factors for Osteoporosis Include:
- Having a small, thin frame
- Older age
- Diet low in calcium
- Lack of vitamin D
- Drinking too much alcohol
Other Reasons You Might Be at Risk Are:
- Long-term use of certain medications
- Overactive thyroid or parathyroid gland
- Early menopause
- If you’ve received certain treatments for breast or prostate cancer
- Back pain with a possible fracture
- Significant loss of height
- Or having a disease or condition that can cause bone loss – like rheumatoid arthritis or anorexia nervosa.
Check with your Doctor!
Ask you health care provider if it’s appropriate to check your BMD if you have any reasons to be concerned. The optimal way to check you bone mineral density is with a DXA scan (dual energy x-ray absorptiometry) Ideally the hip and spine should be checked for bone loss, and it’s important to be able to compare your current BMD test to your last one to identify if you are maintaining, losing, or increasing bone mass.
How is Bone Density Measured?
Bone density is measured by a T-score.
Here is what your T-Score means:
- A T-score between +1 and -1 is normal bone density. Examples are 0.8, 0.2, and -0.5.
- A T-score between -1 and -2.5 indicates low bone density or osteopenia. Example T-scores -1.2, -1.6, and -2.1.
- A T-score of -2.5 or lower is a diagnosis of osteoporosis. Examples are T-scores of -2.8, -3.3, and -3.9.
The lower the T-score, the lower the bone density. For most BMD tests a one point difference in a T-score equals a 10-15% decrease in bone density. (-2.5 is 10-15% lower BMD than -1.5.)
How to Improve Bone Density and Prevent Osteoporosis
There are medications that can assist in increasing bone density. Proper nutrition and exercise are also key components to maintaining healthy bones. Learn more about Osteoporosis, guidelines, and how to get and stay healthy from the National Osteoporosis Foundation.
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George