Are You Getting Enough Sleep To Maintain Your Good Health?
Have you seen this interesting Wall Street Journal article and video interview of author David K. Randall by Ryan Sager on sleep, and why we’re not getting the rest we need.
How much sleep do you get every night? Is it enough to wake-up refreshed, re-energized, and ready to start your day?
According to the Wall Street Journal article, research shows that 30% of Americans were getting less than 6 hours of sleep a night in 2010. And in 2011 sixty million prescriptions were filled for sleep aid!
Add these facts to the 74% of people who drink a caffeinated beverage on a workday, our hectic, fast-paced lifestyle, with the feeling that we should be working 24/7, and it’s no wonder why so many Americans are fat, unhappy, and unhealthy.
Are you well rested, or sleep deprived? Can you see how your short night’s sleep may be contributing to your day time habits, food choices, drink choices, and exercise (or lack of) because you’re “too tired to work out.”
What we do to take care of our mind, body, and spirit matters for optimal whole-body health. Sleep is as important to our good health as nourishing food, exercise – stretching, strengthening, cardio, recreation, work/play, time with family & friends, regular check-ups with our doctor….
This Week’s Health Challenge:
- Become more aware of the good and bad lifestyle habits that may be a contributing factor to your sleep patterns.
- Make a daily list of the things you do that might be preventing you from getting the rest you need.
- Then, eat good foods, see if you can go “caffeine-free”, exercise daily, and strive to turn the lights out early to ensure a great night’s sleep.
- Notice how you feel at the end of the week with a few simple lifestyle adjustments with the goal in mind of a peaceful night’s sleep.
- Click here to read the full Wall Street Journal article and watch the video, Decoding the Science of Sleep.
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ 2.0 $195 Includes Fantastic Feet Book, Arch Activators (pair), Toe Bandz Kit (4 bands + mini massage ball), Toe Separators Kit (1 pair skinny & 1 pair wide), Super-Ankle Board + exercise booklet and video training program, Foot Fitness COMBO Exercise Selection Guide Booklet -- All in a convenient, portable mesh carry bag; PLUS the Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Fantastic Feet mini-foot fitness kit (sticks, stones, TheraBand, and mini-massage ball), RunFit Kit 2.0 Quick Reference Guide (laminated charts) (to help you pick the best Run-Fit training tool/exercises to get started, based on the foot-care issues you may be dealing with…), Run-Fit Kit backpack to keep everything together, easy to find, and ready to use for your at-home, and on-the-go workouts.
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $10 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $10 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $10 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $10 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $59 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $27 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $14 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George