Can I Do Pilates While I'm In PT?
I found this great question in my inbox today, and thought that I’d share my reply here on my Pilates blog.
“I have sustained a recent back injury, I am still going through physical therapy. I am wondering when can a person safely sign up for some pilates individualized sessions with an instructor and about how much would it cost? I have never done pilates before and only became interested since some of the exercises are the same as the ones I am learning in pt.”
Here’s my Reply!
These are great questions! Because you are currently under a doctor’s care and working with a Physical Therapist, I would recommend you asking your doctor and PT about starting Pilates. They may feel that it’s a good complement to your therapy, or they might feel that it’s better that you wait until you are released from PT. Every individual is different.
Your Pilates teacher may also ask for a physicians authorization/release so they are confident that it’s OK for you to participate in Pilates. And if your doctor or PT has any special guidelines that you need to follow, they can be included in the release, this way when you start Pilates everybody can be confident that the exercises that go into your Pilates program are in line with Dr.’s orders and safe and appropriate for you.
Definitely, since you are recovering from a back injury – private training sessions are the only thing I would recommend to start Pilates. The work with the Pilates equipment can keep you safe and stable while you are getting stronger and more flexible. Pilates Matwork right now might aggravate your back, and in group classes there might be too many exercises that aren’t appropriate for you, plus the teacher can’t keep an eye on your every move to be sure you’re safe.
The cost for Private Pilates sessions varies depending on where you’re at in the country. Session fees can range from $45-$150/hr. Some studios offer special package pricing where if you pay for more sessions up front, you’ll receive a discounted per/session price. An average per/session fee is probably in the $60-$80 range.
It would be ideal to have a minimum of 2-3 Pilates training sessions/week. Since Pilates is strength and flexibility conditioning, the only way to reinforce and improve your muscle memory is with repetition. (Just like a weight room workout program.) Joseph Pilates recommended doing Pilates a minimum of 4 days/week.
Not every Pilates teacher will have the experience or expertise to work with clients who are recovering from injuries or accidents. So it’s always good to ask questions before you schedule an appointment. Look for a Pilates teacher who has lots of teaching experience, good training, and has worked with other clients who have had similar issues. Always appropriate to ask to speak to other clients for feedback and a referral. And if you don’t click with the first teacher you try, schedule with somebody else until you find the Pilates teacher you are confident can help you.
Pilates is wonderful for helping back issues, there are so many great exercises, and learning how to improve your posture, body mechanics, and core support are key to avoiding more problems in the future.
If you have any other questions, please let me know. Best of luck for a quick and speedy recovery!
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George