Chin Up Exercises Aren’t Just for Men – Everybody Needs Strong Arms & Shoulders
I love how things pop up when you least expect them! I made a commitment to myself to get strong enough in 2012 to do ten chinup exercises! It’s the middle of April and so far with my own training plan, I’m up to four reps. Slow and steady progress…I’m going to celebrate it being a girl and all!
Today I stumbled onto an old article from Men’s Health – “The Chinup Plan for Every Man.” Hmmm… somebody else out there has a plan for progressing to chin up exercise mastery! I’m going to ignore that this is an article for men and see what tips and recommendations I can glean to keep me moving towards my ten chin up goal.
I think everyone should work towards having the upper body strength to do beautiful chin ups! It doesn’t matter whether you’re male or female, having the strength to do chin ups means, in the jungle of a world we live in, if a lion is chasing you, you just might be strong enough to scramble high up into a tree! Chin up strength means you’ve got a good amount of arm and shoulder strength, and so many people have shoulder pain and shoulder problems –having the flexibility to hang from your arms, and the strength to pull up out of a hanging position would benefit lots and lots of people.
If you have shoulder pain, or are recovering from a shoulder injury, please don’t run out to the park and start swinging on the monkey bars… But do consider improving your shoulder mechanics, upper body flexibility, and arm & shoulder strength to be able to progress into chin-ups.
From a muscle conditioning standpoint, it’s use it or lose it! I can remember as a gymnast beating all the boys in gym class pumping out an easy 20-25 chin ups. Sigh…the fitness of my youth! But I’ve got a goal to start taking me back in that direction. Gals, we might be at a slight disadvantage for chin ups since we tend to carry more of our weight in our hips, and have less upper body mass. This makes it much harder to do a pull up. But not impossible!!!
So men and women of all ages – I encourage you to consider adding chin ups to your workout program. Perhaps it won’t be a whole-body hanging chin up for a while…but set yourself a personal goal and go for it!
If you’re interested in a few extra tips for your training program… here’s the link to “The Chinup Plan for Every Man” from MensHealth.com
And if you’re interested in attending my Functional Movement Awesome Workshops for Shoulders – Stress-Free Shoulders, and Shoulder Mechanics let me know, by dropping a comment at the end of this post. If there appears to be enough interest, I’ll see about getting a live event or Webinar workshop scheduled soon. To be sure you are in the loop for announcements and special offers, get signed up now for my Wellness Success Newsletter!
Is progressing into chin ups going to be a new goal for your workout routine? Let me know how it goes, or consider joining me on that goal to achieve ten chin-ups by Christmas!
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George