Core Strength-Pilates Exercise Video for Abdominals: Little Pulses
Having great core strength means that you’ve got a balance between strong abs and a flexible back allowing you to move easily through each exercise during your Pilates workouts. A while ago I posted an article on my blog about improving abdominal strength and spine articulation with the benefits of adding pulsing to Pilates exercises. I had a couple of clients come for their Pilates workouts and ask me questions about how to do their pulses better to maximize core strength, so I thought this would be a perfect topic for a video post.
With all our Pilates exercises we’re looking for great ab support to help keep your back safe, and improved movement to better articulate your spine from your head to your tailbone! I think the most challenging exercises for most Pilates students are the Roll Up, Neck Pull, Teaser, and Short Box round on the Reformer with the full back bend and roll up. Practicing little pulses during your workouts, can help you improve your abdominal strength, and get your body bending more efficiently.
So here’s the Little Pulses exercise to help strengthen your abs:
Start with a modified ½ Roll Back exercise and add 4 levels of little “pulses” to your movement.
- Roll the pelvis backwards almost to the waist on the mat. Pulse 10-30 times bending two inches below the navel (L5). Feel & watch the low abs pull in while the low back relaxes and falls backwards in space deepening the low scoop. Focus on feeling the pivot point at the bottom of the lumbar spine.
- Roll back farther – waist to the mat. Pulse 10-30 times bending two inches above the navel (L1). Continue to feel the back relax and back bones drop backwards while watching the low and middle abs pull in and back as the head and shoulders bob forward.
- Roll back farther – pelvis, waist, and bottom ribs to the mat. Pulse 10-30 times feeling the front of the bottom ribs dropping backwards in space as the pivot point for the pulse. (T-12). Keep the lower back to the mat and feel it drop more as you pulse up.
- Stay with the bottom ribs to the mat. Pulse 10-30 as the upper back relaxes the bottom ribs will get closer to the floor, but this time focus on feeling the shoulder blades spread apart while the breastbone drops and slides down the front of your shirt.
Be sure that the initiation for the pulsing is the lower back and belly is pulling in and down, not the head and shoulders hurling up! The deepening of the curl comes from the release of the back, and the work of the abdominals. This probably won’t happen automatically! You’re going to have to actively make the movement happen. Watch your low stomach with your eyeballs to be sure it’s happening.
- Easy – arms reach to the legs
- Moderate – “I dream of Jeanie” or “Indian Chief”
- Challenging – Hands behind the head
- Super Challenge – Arms straight overhead by your ears, thumbs hooked.
It won’t take you very long after adding pulses to your workouts before you’ll notice how much better exercises like the Roll Up are getting. So keep practicing to enjoy great benefits from your little pulses.
Have fun adding these little pulses to your workouts! Practice your little pulses with the exercise above, or when you’re on the Trapeze Table with the roll down bar, during your Roll Up and Neck Pull, or any other exercise that they might help you get a little more work from your workout!
Thanks for checking out this video. Keep on the lookout for my next Pilates fitness tip to help you get the most from your training program. See you soon, have a GREAT Day!
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ 2.0 $195 Includes Fantastic Feet Book, Arch Activators (pair), Toe Bandz Kit (4 bands + mini massage ball), Toe Separators Kit (1 pair skinny & 1 pair wide), Super-Ankle Board + exercise booklet and video training program, Foot Fitness COMBO Exercise Selection Guide Booklet -- All in a convenient, portable mesh carry bag; PLUS the Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Fantastic Feet mini-foot fitness kit (sticks, stones, TheraBand, and mini-massage ball), RunFit Kit 2.0 Quick Reference Guide (laminated charts) (to help you pick the best Run-Fit training tool/exercises to get started, based on the foot-care issues you may be dealing with…), Run-Fit Kit backpack to keep everything together, easy to find, and ready to use for your at-home, and on-the-go workouts.
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George