Cueing the Core – Kathleen Stanford Grant’s “Song” for Pilates Students
One of my favorite memories of working with Kathy Grant for the few blessed privileged times I had to be with her at the PMA conferences, was getting to learn and experience the visualizations, and techniques Kathy had for organizing the body and teaching good movement. Kathy’s Pilates “song,” her series of Cats, “hello, my name is….,” and so many other techniques and exercises she had to share were so very challenging, and so FABULOUS!
I always thought I was strong, fit, and flexible until I was stretched out on the mat in one of Kathy’s Master classes. She was great at quickly being able to point out my weaknesses and ways that my body needed to continue working on to move better. With awe, I’d watch students that had spent years training with Kathy, and how easily they were able to execute what were “basic” skills in Kathy’s repertoire, and to me (and many others) seemed darn near impossible. But I always had hope that with practice, I too could utilize the power of Kathy’s techniques to improve my movement habits, and fine-tune my Pilates body.
If you aren’t familiar with the work of Kathy Grant, she was a dancer, choreographer and protégé of Joseph Pilates. She began teaching Pilates in 1957, and taught until her death in 2010. An amazing woman, who had brilliant ways for helping bodies move well, learn how to lever good movement, ride the breath, and make the most of every minute of a Pilates workout.
Here’s a link to a post from fellow Pilates teacher, Larry Hall, with a description of Kathy’s “Song.” If you’re looking for some new cues to try with your clients, or a refresher for yourself on Kathy’s “Song” for imagery and visualization to organize and support the body, I hope you enjoy reading this post and practicing cuing the core with Kathy’s “song.”
LINK for the article.
Kathleen Stanford Grant – Let’s Remember Her Song
Repost from Larry Hall
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George