Do You Have A Soy Allergy?
Did you know that according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, Soy is among the most common foods that cause allergic reactions? Soy is as prevalent in the foods we eat today as high fructose corn syrup! Soy milk, soy flour, soy grits, soy meal, soy sauce, soy oil…and more!
Since my detox experience last year, I’ve been really trying to pay better attention to my food choices, and have come to realize how eating things that I’m slightly allergic to affects my system. For most of my food allergies – thankfully I don’t need an epi-pen. But that really shouldn’t give me license to eat things I know aren’t great for my system.
I’ve known for years that I’m allergic to peanuts and beans. Especially peas & lima beans – really everything in the bean family is an allergy problem for me. But it wasn’t until chatting with my friend Kirsten Carey who runs a fabulous gluten-free, soy-free, lactose-free, nut free restaurant in Scottsdale, AZ – Nourish123, that I realized Soy is a bean! Know that sounds funny…you’d think I would have put this together a little bit sooner.
Soy milk, and Chinese food were things I quickly realized I needed to give up. Then I started reading labels…
Soy lecithin is a binder in many, many foods – most chocolates & chocolate chips contain soy. Soy sauce is used as a flavor enhancer in many sauces & dishes. Soy is in most mayonnaise and salad dressings. Most vegetable oils contain soy. Many of the foods in your kitchen contain soy, and I seriously doubt you can eat out at a regular restaurant and avoid soy.
Here are other terms that imply soy is an ingredient:
- Glycine max
- Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)
- Monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- Vegetable oil
- Vitamin E contains soy bean oil
And this is just what we are eating!
Did you know that soy is also a commonly used ingredient in medicines, cosmetics, lotions, creams, and ointments?
For me, with a known soy allergy, slathering skin care products on my body that contain soy are just as harmful as ingesting it!
I have had to seriously adjust my lifestyle to work on becoming soy-free. Know I’m not 100% soy-free yet, and thankfully the repercussions of small amounts aren’t causing me major distress. But I can tell you that the less soy I eat, finding skin-care products that are soy-free (along with avoiding several other things I know I’m allergic to…) I am breathing better, feeling stronger, my digestive system is starting to work better – finally!!! I am more energized, and noticeably healthier.
It takes a bit of work to clean the soy out of your kitchen, but for me – the benefits of becoming soy-free are life changing in a fabulous way!
To learn more about Soy Allergies click the link to AAFA.
If you too are striving to stay healthy & Soy-Free and have product recommendations, or healthy recipes – please post a comment & share! And here’s hoping that if enough people start to take action and stop using soy-based products, that we can get better allergy-free options on the shelves for healthy, whole-food, soy-free living.
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD 59.95 2 Foot Savers with Workout DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George