Exercise Tips for Building Strong Bones
Impact. To build strong bones our body needs impact! And sadly, the older most of us get, the less impact (or stress) we place on our bones, bodies, and joints. It seems like one day, (perhaps in your mid 30’s, or early 40’s) all of a sudden high impact aerobics class, or jogging doesn’t seem like such a smart idea, and we stop ALL impact activities in an effort to avoid injury and “protect” our health.
According to the International Osteoporosis Foundation, worldwide, one in 3 women and 1 in 5 men over the age of 50 will experience osteoporotic fractures. And can you believe that in women over 45 years of age, osteoporosis accounts for more days spent in a hospital than many other diseases, including diabetes, myocardial infarction and breast cancer!
I’m not saying it’s a smart idea to push through the pain and bash your aching knees, hips, and back into submission to build better bones. But if you’ve stopped exercising or doing any impact activities as you get older, you’re increasing your risk for fractures and broken bones. There’s a tipping point for becoming aware of the issue, getting a bone density screening or dexa scan is a good start to have a baseline measurement for what your bone density is so you can see over time if it’s stable, going up, or you’re losing density and there is cause for concern. For many people the first fracture is the moment they realize osteoporosis is an issue, and then it’s a tougher scramble to build bone and get your health back.
In my opinion, that’s where working the Pilates system as a supplement for cross-training can be a valuable asset to your weekly workouts!
Pilates can help you improve body mechanics and help you maximize the benefits from your more vigorous higher “impact” activities. Pilates like weight training, can give you the opportunity to start a strength training program, and work the body through a full-range of motion against the resistance of the springs on the Pilates Reformer, Cadillac, and Chairs. Learning how to move your body efficiently and effectively with the right muscles working to support you, so you can freely move your spine, and swing your arms and legs from the right spots will insure that when you walk, run, hop, squat, or jump rope that you really are getting the best benefits from these bone building activities.
Did you see the recent article in The New York Times, “Building Up Bones, With a Little Bashing” by Jane E. Brody? She shares info based on the latest research and describes different exercises that are helpful for building strong bones. Osteoporosis is a serious health concern, and it’s treatable, and reversible through exercise! Regardless of your age, you can improve your bone density by increasing impact or stress placed on your joints.
Physical activity is critical for keeping your bones and whole body healthy. Don’t wait until it’s too late… Be sure you’ve got a good amount of strength building, “bone bashing,” higher impact, weight-bearing activities built into your weekly workouts. Move your body to help build strong bones, keep your mind and body healthy, and reduce your risk of fractures from osteoporosis.
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George