Health and Hypothyroidism
Well after months of dragging my butt around and feeling like crap, weight gain, extremely low blood pressure, a serious bout of depression, lack of enthusiasm for life and only doing low intensity exercise – because anything vigorous really hasn’t been an option… I’ve finally have found a health-care provider with enough brain-cells to start seriously looking for the root of the problem. It’s almost a relief to know that my mood swings, and symptoms are not just “all in my head,” but there is an actual medical reason why I feel so out of balance – Hypothyroidism.
After extensive lab-work, one of the things that showed up was a need for some attention to my hormone balance especially my thyroid levels. I’ve had my thyroid levels checked…not regularly, but every so often. Evidently it’s been awhile and things are seriously out of whack!
The thyroid gland is a vitally important butterfly-shaped hormonal gland located in the front of the neck below the voice box. Hypothyroidism is when the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone for the body’s systems to function properly. Our thyroid hormones help control metabolism.
Underactive thyroid or Hypothyroidism is more common in women and people over the age of 50. I had thyroid surgery in my 20’s so with only one functioning gland, it’s easy to see why now, almost thirty years later; I’m in the age range to need a little extra thyroid support. But, there are lots of other reasons your thyroid gland may not be functioning properly.
Here are some of the signs and symptoms of Hypothyroidism:
Early warning signs:
- Hard stools / constipation
- Sensitivity to cold
- Fatigue or feel slow
- Heavy menstrual periods
- Joint or muscle pain
- Paleness / dry skin
- Sadness / depression
- Thin, brittle hair or fingernails
- Weight gain without trying
- Decreased sweating
- Elevated serum cholesterol
Late symptoms, if left untreated:
- Decreased taste & smell
- Puffy face, hands, and feet
- Slow speech
- Thickening of the skin
- Thinning of eyebrows
- Lack of libido
- Mood swings
I realize that many of these might be signs and symptoms for a host of other health issues! The best way to determine if your thyroid hormone levels are at a healthy level is through labwork. If you think this might be an issue for you, get in for a consultation with your doctor and express your concerns to see if testing your thyroid levels is an appropriate next step for improving your health.
While I am not a fan of taking medication, sometimes it IS necessary for the maintenance of good health. Thyroid levels can return to normal with treatment, (and as an FYI treatment is for the rest of your natural life!) I think that the amount needed might fluctuate, so it’s good to keep the signs and symptoms in mind. Whether you’ve got hypothyroidism or are 100% healthy, if you start to feel a little off-kilter and it’s been awhile since you’ve seen your doctor or had your thyroid levels tested, it may be time for a check-up.
There are no preventative measures for hypothyroidism, but it is easily treatable.
I suppose in some ways this is a good thing. I can’t get upset that there was something I “could have” or “should have” been doing and didn’t (like eat right & exercise) to avoid the problem. But I have to admit that I haven’t been pro-active enough to be the squeaky-wheel that something was wrong and needed to be fixed.
Keeping our hormone levels in balance is a very important part of maintaining our health. If you’re like me and have been dragging around just thinking that you’ve got the mid-winter blues but it’s not really getting better, consider a check-up. With your doctor’s expert help, whether it’s a thyroid issue or something else, there may be a quick and easy “fix” to help your body function better and get back to feeling like your normal healthy and happy self. If anything is out of balance, sooner or later everything will be out of balance! Don’t wait. Take charge of your health and be sure everything is working well to keep you 100% healthy.
Here’s an interesting article I found with more info on The Mismanaged Thyroid (Gland & Hormones)
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George