Improving Posture with Pilates
Just a quick thought about improving posture…
While improving posture may or may not be on the list of goals Pilates participants, it might be because posture improvement isn’t what they want, but rather the BENEFITS of correcting bad posture, which include: Reduced back and neck pain, less stress on all the body’s joints (spine, shoulders, hips, knees, ankles), easier breathing in daily life & sport activities, shoulders that are no longer wrapped around the ears, ease of movement for daily living – walking, stairs, standing, sitting in front of the computer, driving, enhanced recreational & sports performance, and reduced risk of injury.
Improved posture means reduced stress – physical, emotional, and mental! If the body is in balance, the brain doesn’t have to work (or overwork) to keep over tense muscles on tension. Balance should be easy and effortless. A body off-balance will require some initial effort to strengthen the muscles that have been on holiday. Over time, as these weaker muscles become stronger – the long term goal is efficient, effortless ease of movement – Good balance & Great Posture.
How long has your body been off-center? Have noticed your posture gradually shifting? With age are you getting shorter, developing body posture tending to kyphosis/lordosis, or a functional scoliosis? Do you have neck pain, shoulder pain, back, hip, or knee pain? Current posture habits might be a contributing factor. There are so many things you can do to help make improvements. If you’re alive and alert – there’s lots you can do to stand & sit taller!
Practicing good posture reinforces the principles of better body alignment learned through the Pilates Method. Also, practicing pilates will strengthen and reinforce your good posture habits. But it doesn’t just have to be Pilates to help improve posture – Yoga, and all other fitness activities give you a chance to stretch and strengthen the body to help correct posture issues.
Here are a few helpful hints for improving posture:
- If you stand with locked knees (you might experience knee pain) – keep the knees slightly soft when standing. The hamstring muscles will work harder to help support the knee joint.
- If you sit with crossed legs – chances are it’s usually the same leg. Sit with both feet flat on the floor, or if you have to cross, cross at the ankles.
- Learn to breath by expanding the ribcage and feeling your spine lengthen. Inhaling should make you taller! When you exhale – strive to stay tall. You’ll notice your muscles working to support your improved posture.
- Strengthen your Pelvic Floor & Core Muscles (this will help relax the shoulders and provide you with better back and neck support.)
- Invision lifting the body tall like you’re suspended by a string.
- Add exercises to your workout program to stretch your chest & shoulders & strengthen your upper & lower back.
It doesn’t take a lot to make positive changes for improving posture. You can do it! Stay conscious, assess current posture habits and correct bad posture to enjoy better health.
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George