Interesting Article on Flip-Flops and Foot Pain
Flip-Flops are Great… If You Enjoy Poor Foot Mechanics, Increased Risk of Injury, and Foot Pain…
One of my clients brought me a copy of an article written by Rachel Saslow for the Washington Post, that was recently re-published in the Wichita Eagle newspaper about Flip-flops. I’m so happy to see more things being written about foot Heath, foot-care, and foot fitness! We take our feet for granted until there’s a problem – and even then, we still have to get around – so foot pain and injuries are often ignored, which can lead to even bigger problems.
I have been sharing the hazards of flip-flops for years with my clients, in my foot-fitness clinics, and Fantastic Feet workshops. My motto is, “train right with the right shoes-always!” I encourage people to throw their flip-flops away (and all other strapless shoes!) because all these poor shoe choices are doing is reinforcing incorrect muscle habits for your feet. Barefoot is better than bad shoes!
If you have to wear flip-flops here are the three places they might be briefly appropriate:
- In the shower at the gym
- To get across hot pavement from a deck chair to the pool
- To drive home from a pedicure
But… If you were wearing a sandal that was tied onto your foot and ankle instead of a flip-flop, it would be a much better choice.
The other thing I think a lot of people don’t realize is how much can be done to improve foot fitness, posture, and body alignment with simple foot care exercises. If you have flat feet, they will get worse wearing flip-flops. If you had a good lifted arch, but flip-flops are your primary shoe choice, expect to see your arches drop in time with knee, hip, and back problems to follow… You can change habits with better exercise choices, but all the exercises in the world won’t make much of a dent, if you don’t change your shoe choices too.
It makes me extremely sad to see aisles filled floor to ceiling with Flip-flops at the mall. Is anybody else out there concerned about our children? The ONLY thing I see on most kids feet is a dang flip-flop! Come on parents – take care of your kids and make them wear something better so they can grow up with good health! There is no reason for the shoe companies and foot-care specialists to get richer treating completely avoidable problems – if your feet are strong, fit, flexible, AND you’re not wearing flip-flops!
Here’s a link to Flip-Flops Forever, the article that was recently published in the Wichita Eagle. I hope that some of this info will make you think twice before slipping into a pair of flip-flops or strapless shoes. Remember, “train right, with the right shoes, always!” And if you happen to be looking for exercises to help undo the damage to your flip-flopped feet, check out my book Fantastic Feet! Exercises to Strengthen the Ankles, Arches, and Toes, and the other foot fitness products I think are great to help improve your health from the ground up. You’ll find all these foot care resources in the Centerworks store.
We only have one pair of feet! Treat them right for a lifetime of good health! Flip-Flop wearers, beware!
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ 2.0 $195 Includes Fantastic Feet Book, Arch Activators (pair), Toe Bandz Kit (4 bands + mini massage ball), Toe Separators Kit (1 pair skinny & 1 pair wide), Super-Ankle Board + exercise booklet and video training program, Foot Fitness COMBO Exercise Selection Guide Booklet -- All in a convenient, portable mesh carry bag; PLUS the Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Fantastic Feet mini-foot fitness kit (sticks, stones, TheraBand, and mini-massage ball), RunFit Kit 2.0 Quick Reference Guide (laminated charts) (to help you pick the best Run-Fit training tool/exercises to get started, based on the foot-care issues you may be dealing with…), Run-Fit Kit backpack to keep everything together, easy to find, and ready to use for your at-home, and on-the-go workouts.
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $10 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $10 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $10 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $10 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $59 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $27 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $14 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George