January is National Soup Month – What’s Your Favorite Soup?
Amazing! There is something to celebrate or acknowledge every month, and on almost every single day of the year. Did you know that January is officially National Soup Month? Are you eating soup this month? Usually a great cold-weather food for those of us who enjoy Winter in January. Soup warms the belly, and feeds the soul.
Here’s the scoop on Soup:
- It’s considered one of the first fast foods.
- As early as 600 B.C. the Greeks sold soup as fast food on the street.
- Before soup – Broth poured over bread in a bowl. The bread was called “sop.”
- Canned & condensed soups typically are high in sodium which helps enhance the flavor.
- There are thousands of variations & recipes for soups. All with varying degrees of calories and beneficial nutritional content.
Different Kinds of Soup:
- Creamed Soups, Chowders, & Bisques – typically higher in fat & calories
- Broth-based soups, consommés – low calorie / high water content
- Bean & Vegetable Soups: chili, gazpacho – filled with fiber & healthy phytochemicals
- Dr. John T. Dorrance, a chemist invented condensed soup in 1897 for the Joseph A. Campbell Preserve Company. It was so popular that in 1922 the company officially adopted “Soup” as it’s middle name and is now know as the Campbells Soup Company.
What is your favorite Soup?
Chicken & Noodle, Tomato, Clam Chowder, Beef Stew, Chili? Do you know why it’s your favorite? What happy memories does eating your favorite soup bring to mind?
Here’s a recipe for one of my NEW favorites that I stirred up a few months ago. You can be so creative in the kitchen when making soup! Please try this recipe and let me know what you think.
Chicken & Kale Soup
CHICKEN & KALE SOUP
A kitchen creation by: Aliesa George
- 2 Chicken Breasts – diced
- 1T Spectra Organic Shortening
- 1T Coconut Oil
- Spices: Sea Salt, White Pepper, Paprika, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder
Cook chicken & drain on paper towel.
- 1T Butter
- 2T Potato Starch/flour
- ½ Small Onion – diced small
- ½ Medium Carrot – diced small
- 1 Large Stalk Celery – diced small
- 2 Medium Potatoes (white skin)
- 4 C. water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Large Kale Leaf – chopped
Melt butter, add onion & sauté on med/low heat @ 3 min. Add diced celery & sauté @ 3-5 min. Add 2T Potato Starch (flour) – stir. Add 4 C water, cooked Chicken, diced potato, diced carrots. Simmer on medium heat for 45min-1 hour. Add Kale and cook @ 5 minutes / Serve.
YUMMY!!! (Serves 2-4 depending on how big your bowl is!)
If you’ve got a favorite soup recipe to share – please add it to the comments below so we can all try it.
Hope you have a happy celebration of National Soup Month. Let’s all get our “Soup On!”
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George