The Massive Fitness Trend (that’s Not Helping You Be Healthy)
Are Fitness Trends – Helping or Hurting Your Whole-Body Health?
I just read the article The Massive Fitness Trend That’s Not Actually Healthy at All by Jonathan Angelilli. And it’s worth your time to read. This is a very well-written article with good reasoning for learning to listen to your body.
Developing the mind-body connection is one of the reasons that I truly LOVE and appreciate what Pilates has helped me to achieve (and continue to work on) on my own personal journey to achieve, and maintain, balanced whole-body health – Mind, Body, and Spirit.
So many people believe that if they’re not busting their hump in the gym daily, that it’s not even worth trying.
So where does that leave you when you’re dealing with chronic pain, an injury, or other ailment? Do nothing but rest and eat? Only to recover, work out too hard and repeat the injury-inactivity cycle?
Yes rest is important, and cross-training is immeasurably beneficial. Somewhere one has to find their own personal happy place, where the training methods you use you enjoy fully so that exercise is FUN, and the activities you participate in not only help you stay healthy, active, and fit, but injury-free!
Not every meal we eat can be a gluttonous Thanksgiving Dinner. (Can you even imagine?) So why does every workout have to be “balls to the walls” challenging, or long, or repetitive, or with super-heavy weights? Train for your sport if you are an athlete, Yes. But overtraining regardless of athlete or everyday person and sooner or later your body is going to break down and protest the pounding. What your body will let you get away with at 20 is much different than at 40 or 50. And trust me, I love exercise and enjoy how my body feels after a good workout. But there’s a difference between creating trauma and effective training.
You can gain as many benefits from a calm, gentle training session as you can from training for a triathlon. And sometimes stillness IS the best exercise – just ask a Yogi or Tai Chi Master about that.
I believe efficient exercise with good body mechanics is vital for BOTH your “easy” and more challenging workouts. Without paying attention and learning to use your muscles and joints correctly – injury will result. (And over-fatigued muscles can’t support healthy movement habits) The magic happens in Pilates with low repetitions 3-5, up to 10, with the goal being that the last repetition you do is the very best one you’ve ever done, so you leave your muscles with the memory of how to work correctly. Brilliant!
Are you one that’s on the bandwagon for the latest massive fitness trend, regardless of how it might be affecting your health, or are you learning to listen to the inner wisdom of your Soul which can speaks volumes to help you make good exercise choices, and work at an appropriate pace to help you be healthy.
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George