Optic Neuritis and Exercise Guidelines
Optic Neuritis and Exercise. Sometimes it’s difficult to even think about working out when you’re going blind! Since I’ve been dealing with a chronic case of optic neuritis for almost eight months…my exercise habits have been quite compromised. It has been interesting to see the wide variety of opinions I’ve gotten on guidelines for exercising with an inflamed optic nerve.
When I asked my Neuro-Opthamologist what I could and couldn’t do I was told, “No Restrictions.”
Really??? I can do anything I want? “Yes!” I can do Pilates, run, lift weights, swim, inline skate, indoor skydiving, racquetball…no limitations??? “No Limitations!”
This had me feeling pretty good. Confident that I might be able to manage my flare, keep my sanity, and perhaps not gain two tons while on steroids.
Then I went to my primary care physician…
who happens to be a D.O. and normally does more manipulations to keep my body tuned-up, rather than dealing with medical care issues. And we got to chatting about exercise and steroids. Because prior to this Optic Neuritis issue, my body had been doing pretty well, better than usual in fact, and I commented that I was pretty sure it was the weight lifting program I had been doing that was making the difference.
My D.O’s recommendations: “You need to be very careful with the amounts of weight you are lifting. Because of the high dosage of Prednisone that you are on, there is an increased risk that you might actually tear your tendons and ligaments away from the bones. High impact activities like running also need to be modified to avoid injury right now.”
Yikes!!! There’s something to scare one into a super light-weight program, or avoid exercise altogether. And this is information that I had never heard before.
Then from my 25+ years of experience as a coach, personal trainer, and Pilates Teacher, the guidelines I have always followed, are to avoid upside down exercises if someone had an eye problem.
With Optic Neuritis, the Exercise Guidelines I received spanned the gamut from:
- Do anything you want
- Avoid lifting heavy weights and high impact activities.
My response has been to listen to my body and do what I feel is right at the moment. Some days I seem to be able to push myself a little harder, other days I barely have the energy to go for a 20 minute slow walk. I’m staying right-side up most of the time, because when I go upside down, I usually notice increased pressure in my head and a decrease in my vision.
I suppose that exercising with Optic Neuritis is like dealing with any other sort of medical issue. If we can get the right information, make sensible choices, and listen to our bodies, chances are, we’ll be doing the right things and be able to continue doing something that’s good for our body, mind, and spirit while we’re dealing with a hiccup in our health.
I would love to hear from other folks who have had Optic Neuritis and learn what exercise guidelines and recommendations you were given to follow during a flare.
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD 59.95 2 Foot Savers with Workout DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George