Pilates Continuing Education Is Worth Your Investment
I have now been teaching Pilates for over 14 years. Hard to believe it! The time has flown by – I love my job!
Blessed to have had an excellent first teacher (David Mooney) and to have had the opportunity to study with many great teachers and most of the Pilates elders. Romana Kryzanowska, Sari Pace for my first teacher-training program, Colleen Glenn for my second, and Dianne Miller for my third. Continuing ed. workshops with Dianne Miller, Michelle Larsson, and others. And, through my association with the Pilates Method Alliance, it’s been a privilege to participate in continuing education with all of the Pilates “elders,” Mary Bowen, Ron Fletcher, Lolita San Miguel, and Cathy Grant – all of whom studied directly with Joseph & Clara Pilates.
I can say that I’ve learned more about Pilates in the past seven years, than I did in my first seven!
The reason – I never stopped wanting to learn more.
While my hometown Wichita, KS has not been a hot-spot with an abundance of Pilates teachers. For me to learn and grow it has always meant traveling in search of teachers with more experience and something relevant to share.
I’m here to encourage you to make it a priority to find a mentor or two and keep on learning. If you’ve attended a workshop, and just have your manuals to rely upon…it’s to your advantage, (and that of your students) that you find someone to take lessons from to continue learning more about the exercises in your own body. Find someone to observe teaching – to keep developing your eye for corrections, and program development. Find workshops that interest you to keep adding additional layers to your education.
I learn lots from my students while I’m developing creative ways to help them reach their goals and better understand Pilates. I learn new things everytime I give myself a workout. I learn new things everytime I take a class, lesson, or workshop with somebody else. I learn new things at every conference I attend. (Sometimes I learn things I love and can’t wait to share. Sometimes I learn why I’m doing it my way – and better appreciate the skills I have and the mentors who have shared their expertise with me) Either way I’m a better teacher for my time & energy applied to continuing my education.
I’m now teaching in a studio where there are Pilates teachers who have gone the extra mile to keep educated, and others who have done their initial workshops and that’s it! There is a HUGE difference in the knowledge, understanding, execution, and teaching skills of these teachers. If you’re looking for a long-term carreer as a Pilates Professional – the best money you will ever spend is on yourself and your personal education. Make it a priority and you’ll find you’ve got lots more to give to your students which will keep them enthusiastically coming back for more.
Invest in your education.There’s good job security in being a great teacher!
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ 2.0 $195 Includes Fantastic Feet Book, Arch Activators (pair), Toe Bandz Kit (4 bands + mini massage ball), Toe Separators Kit (1 pair skinny & 1 pair wide), Super-Ankle Board + exercise booklet and video training program, Foot Fitness COMBO Exercise Selection Guide Booklet -- All in a convenient, portable mesh carry bag; PLUS the Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Fantastic Feet mini-foot fitness kit (sticks, stones, TheraBand, and mini-massage ball), RunFit Kit 2.0 Quick Reference Guide (laminated charts) (to help you pick the best Run-Fit training tool/exercises to get started, based on the foot-care issues you may be dealing with…), Run-Fit Kit backpack to keep everything together, easy to find, and ready to use for your at-home, and on-the-go workouts.
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $10 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $10 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $10 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $10 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $59 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $27 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $14 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George