Pilates Side Plank Exercise Variations
How To Add More Challenge to Your Simple Side Plank for an Advanced Pilates Mat Workout
There are many different ways to tweak the Side Plank exercise and provide variety and challenge. BUT the technique of getting into and out of the Side Plank position needs to be the same for any version you do to ensure the shoulders work properly and risk of arm and shoulder injury is eliminated.
In the article, How to Execute a Great Side Plank, I have provided directions to begin practicing a simple Side Plank so you can just focus on holding the position and improving strength and balance. Once you’ve mastered this and are ready to add a bit more of a challenge to your Side Plank Exercise, there are several options to play with to make your Side Plank more difficult and see how well you’re able to maintain control and support!
3 Side Plank Exercise Variations for an Advanced Pilates Mat Workout:
Variations/Challenge from Return to Life: (Joe’s version)
- Lift the non-supporting arm all the way over the head while the hips lift to really create a “side bend.”
- Lower the body ½ way down and then lift back up to the side bend. Do 3-5 lift & lowers before lowering all the way down and switching to the other side.
- Add a head turn. Right arm supporting – Right Side Plank. When the right hip is lowered, turn the head to look over the left shoulder. When lifted in the side plank, turn the head to look straight ahead.
Having the control and shoulder strength to do a good simple Side Plank is the first step in mastering this exercise. These three Side Plank variations can help add more challenge and variety to your workout.
Once you’ve mastered these 3 more difficult variations…it will be time to add a twist! Stay tuned for some helpful hints on executing the Pilates Side Plank Twist I & II. Details coming in an upcoming article soon…
Meanwhile, keep practicing your simple Side Plank, and for a challenge consider adding the 3 variations above, either as individual exercises, pick one version to do during your workout and rotate each workout with a different variation, or combine ALL three together to create one wonderfully challenging shoulder strengthening Pilates exercise!
This is the 3rd article I’ve posted to help tweak your technique and improve shoulder strength, and whole-body support for a great Pilates Side Plank. If you’ve missed the first two articles and would like to review this info, check out Preparatory Exercises for Side Plank, and How to Execute a Great Side Plank
Want to learn more about the “Classical” versions of the Pilates Matwork Exercises? Get your copy of Joseph H. Pilates book, “Return to Life with Contrology.” A great resource for Pilates enthusiasts, and a must-have book for Pilates teachers & health professionals!
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George