Spine Extension: “Secret” Training Tips
Centerworks® “Secret” Training Tips for Mobilizing the Ribcage
Part Two: Spine Extension
It’s easy to bend the neck and low back, but it’s the upper thoracic, mid-back section that needs the attention to improve spine mobility. The older we get, the more gravity plays with our posture. Hunched over, heads jutted forward, we need our ribcage to move more freely, and our breath to truly support lifting our posture and lengthening our spine.
To do great back extension, everything you’ve been practicing for flexion happens in reverse. As the shoulder blades pull down, the breastbone has to slide up, out, and forward pulling the front ribs open and apart. As you start to “turn the collarbones” backwards, feel the back bones move forward (through the body) towards the breastbone, then use the back muscles to pull the back ribs closer together lifting the spine into extension. You are applying the “rotisserie” rib effect that you used for flexion to turn the ribs in the other direction.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re working on back extension face down, like Swan in Pilates Mat, or Down Stretch on the Reformer, exercises like Kneeling Cat, standing Spread Eagle, or your body is face up like Pull-Ups on the Cadillac, and the Leg Circles onto the Head exercise on the Spine Corrector shown above. The movement of the spine and ribcage is exactly the same for each of these exercises to facilitate extension. Yes, some exercises might start at the bottom of the spine and work up, while other exercises start from the head and work down, but to bend the spine, both the back bones and the ribcage has to move.
Interestingly, the chest muscles have to relax (and stretch) to move into extension also. There is a difference between “pinching the shoulder blades together” and actually moving the ribcage and spine into extension.
- If you allow the front of the ribcage to open, while the back ribs come closer together, you will be practicing spine extension.
- If you retract or “pinch” the blades together, you are moving the blades on the ribcage, NOT the ribcage and the spine. While you might “feel” your upper back working, you are not activating the right muscles for movement of the spine and freedom of the ribs.
Become consciously aware of feeling the counter-relationship between the front and back of the ribcage, where the ribs attach to the spine, and the movement of the breastbone to improve your spine extension. Move your shoulder blades less, and your spine and ribs more for easy, well-executed spine extension.
Click here to practice a spine extension exercise with this video.
Check out the entire Mobilizing the Ribcage Series:
- Pilates Training Tips to Mobilize the Ribcage for Better Functional Movement
- Spine Flexion
- Spine Rotation and Twisting
- Side Bend
- Healthy Spine Movement in Many Directions
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George