Spine Flexion: “Secret” Training Tips
Centerworks® “Secret” Training Tips for Mobilizing the Ribcage
Part One: Spine Flexion
When we bend into forward flexion for Pilates exercises like the Hundred, Roll Up or Teaser every segment of the spine has to move individually to open the back ribs and bend the spine.
In the front of the body, the ribs are attached to the breastbone (which is a solid piece) so the same bending can’t occur. The breast bone must “slide down the front of the body” to bring the front ribs closer together.
If the Pec muscles in the front of the chest are held tight, the front ribs & breastbone cannot move causing the “bend” forward to happen from either the neck or the waist, but not segmentally through the upper spine.
Each rib is attached in the back to the spine and in the front to the breastbone, and they need to bend or “rotate” individually to fully articulate the spine, mobilize the ribcage and bend the body forward.
Here are a few helpful training tips to make movement of your spine and Ribcage happen more easily:
- Relax the chest muscles to open the back and release the ribs for movement.
- Allow movement bending forward to initiate from the head and neck, then the collar bones through the front of the body to bend every rib like you are turning a rotisserie to curl forward.
- As the Pecs relax feel the breastbone slide down the front of the body and drop backwards towards the spine.
- While the breastbone slides down, the backbones are bending forward “up and over” the breastbone.
- Use your breath to facilitate freer movement. Inhaling helps elongate the spine and creates space for movement, exhaling allows your movement to “ride the breath.”
It doesn’t matter what position your body is in space, if you need to bend the body forward and want good articulation through the spine, both the back and chest have to release to mobilize the upper thoracic spine and move the ribcage.
During your workouts, play with and visualize the image of each rib turning like a rotisserie to help you mobilize the ribcage and feel the forward bending, spine flexion movement through the upper back.
You might find it easiest to begin practicing these concepts with a standing Roll Down on the Wall. With gravity assisting the forward bending motion, it can be easier to learn to release the Pecs and move the ribs. With time and practice, you will be able to transfer this feeling to all your forward spine flexion movements and exercises.
Check out the entire Mobilizing the Ribcage Series:
- Pilates Training Tips to Mobilize the Ribcage for Better Functional Movement
- Spine Extension
- Spine Rotation and Twisting
- Side Bend
- Healthy Spine Movement in Many Directions
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George