A Healthy Life Gives You the Freedom to Celebrate Your Independence
Are you living a healthy life?
I love having clients that depend on me to help them improve how they move. Linking together the pieces in the puzzle, we all must sort out to get our brains and bodies functioning as well as possible.
But ultimately, it’s not about being co-dependent and always relying on someone else to ensure you enjoy a healthy life. Let’s face it, the 2-3 hours a week you’re in the studio with me is nothing compared to the other 165 hours in your week that you’re out there on your own. What are you doing with your time? How wisely are you making decisions and choices that enhance your healthy life? What else are you doing to stay active, healthy, and develop strength, flexibility, balance, and body control? What other aspects of health need to be focused on to maintain your healthy life? How are your hormones, digestive system, heart & circulation, eyes and ears, respiratory system, skin, and mental health? So many things matter to give you the freedom to be independent and enjoy a healthy life.
I’ve had a few super-fit athletes for clients, but more the norm are everyday folks; with everyday aches and pains, or chronically health-challenged people (that I can totally relate to from my own personal health challenges – mentally and physically!). And if you’ve got “issues in your tissues” I think you have a better appreciation for being healthy and independent. There’s a little more urgency in the need to keep working to find a solution. Motivation can bounce up and down – eager to do something positive one minute, and frustrated that changes aren’t happening quick enough the next.
My dad, Dr. George, always says, “Give me as long as it took you to get yourself in this condition, and we can get you healthy.” Nice when it happens a little quicker than that! But the fact is, if for the past 30 years you’ve abused your body, it’s probably going to take a bit of time (ok, maybe a lot…) to piece it back together.
I’ve had a couple of clients who’ve experienced serious head trauma. In fact, when I was a child, my mother had brain surgery. I got to watch my mom re-learn practically everything; from how her eyes tracked to how the muscles moved in her face to attempt a smile. She played the flute before brain surgery – and Bell’s Palsy made that impossible. But she had a goal to play the flute again. Post-surgery she worked very hard to regain the muscles needed to blow a note. Ultimately, she went on to get her Master’s degree in Music and her flute recital was an epic accomplishment.
I had another client many years ago who was in an auto accident, and as a result not only had speech issues, but spastic muscles that had her wobbling to walk and made it impossible for her to work. When she started Pilates, standing on one leg was impossible – and attempting to walk a “straight” line veered her off to the corner of the room. She always joked that even sober she couldn’t pass a sobriety test! But with time and focus to regain her independence, she gained control over what she lost and was able to get her healthy life back! Another client, who after a stroke and additional head injury, realized the precious gift of being able to sit down and get back up off the toilet by herself! It’s these little things in life that mean the most.
Perhaps you’re lucky enough to have not dealt with a serious brain injury or auto accident. But there are lots of other ways we can lose our independence. It might be a migraine, or a bad knee… low back pain or a shoulder injury… A bunion or bad ankle… Hormone issues, cancer, arthritis, diabetes, allergies, chronic fatigue, lupus, MS, depression, panic attacks… Pick something that has you feeling like somebody has pulled the rug out from under you. It might be temporary, fixable, and reversible, or you might have been told to just accept it and that’s it. How’s it working out for you? Is accepting the issue making you feel better? Are you truly enjoying a healthy life?
During my last Optic Neuritis flare, I was told the non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drug that I would be transitioning to would be something I would have to take for the rest of my life. Dependent on something to keep my eyesight, while destroying my kidneys, liver, and other organs – YAY! I opted out, tried an alternative non-drug therapy and it worked. I figured I didn’t have anything to lose, and everything to gain. If it didn’t work, the drugs would still be there waiting for me. I did a happy dance on this one to celebrate my independence to regain my eyesight!
I have a hard time accepting anything that’s less than 100% good health because I truly believe it’s possible. We are all works in progress and, of course, I’m still on my own – let’s get this gal healthy, happy, and on a pain-free path. If you’re breathing, you have the option to move forward, backwards, sideways, or even just coast along for a bit. The only reason to stop working on YOU is if you’re dead.
I saw an ad for a TV show about older folks (since so many people are now living active healthy lives well into their 90’s and beyond). I think the title was “If You’re Not in the Obit, Eat Breakfast.” Funny, but if you’re alive, get up and start your day. Make the most of it. Celebrate your Independence. Our forefathers did. They fought hard for our country to gain independence. We celebrate this as a national holiday with fireworks and a big party. Are you celebrating your good health, or taking it for granted?
In the USA we’re fighting for the opportunity to have the option of healthcare. It’s frightening to think that you might end up with a serious, unavoidable health issue and not have insurance coverage, or affordable coverage. Right now we’ve got a somewhat broken system, not doing a very good job at helping broken bodies, but how many health issues are caused by not being pro-active and taking care of your good health? Sometimes accidents happen. Sometimes injuries are unavoidable. Is it easier to wait until something is broken and then see if it’s possible (and affordable) to fix it or keep it well-maintained and in good working order? Just something to think about…
How often do you celebrate YOUR independence? What does it mean to you to be healthy? What does your healthy life look like? How does your body feel? How close to living in this healthy body are you today? What are you going to do today, or tomorrow, or the day after that to ensure that you continue to enjoy good health and an independent happy life?
Independence is Freedom! Freedom from pain, freedom to move, freedom to be active, and free to enjoy a healthy life! Freedom to do what you want, when you want, because your body can.
Cherish your freedom, focus on your freedom, work hard for your freedom, take care of your freedom, be thankful for your freedom. LIVE YOUR HEALTHY LIFE!
Pay attention to your Posture – to keep your body healthy from your head to your toes! If you haven’t taken the Centerworks Posture Quiz… Follow the link for this quick complimentary 20 question Posture Quiz and learn more about how your posture habits can help you enjoy a healthy life!
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD 59.95 2 Foot Savers with Workout DVD
- The Circulator: Foot Reflexology Massage Mat $39.95 Foot Reflexology Massage Mat
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George