Do a Daily Quad Stretch To Open Your Hips
How tight are the fronts of your thighs, and how effective are your Quad Stretch exercises to help loosen things up and open the hips? Are you taking time to work on your flexibility to help improve your muscle balance?
Are the fronts of your thighs and your hip flexors grippy and grabby? Do you realize how much this is affecting your posture, health, and functional fitness?
The Quadriceps muscle group is on the front of the thigh. Quad means four, so it’s actually 4 different muscles – Rectus Femoris, Vastus Lateralis, Vastus Medialis, and Vastus Intermedius. The action of the Quads is to straighten the knee, but the Rectus Femoris also assists with the action of lifting the knee to the chest, or folding the torso forward towards the legs.
A lot of people have really tight Quadriceps and hip flexor muscles. Generally speaking, we spend too much time sitting, and too little time stretching our Quads and strengthening our core, back, hips, and hamstrings. Over time, as the backs of our legs get stiffer and weaker, and the fronts of our thighs, Quads, and hip flexor muscles get tighter and stronger. The result is the pelvis may get “stuck” in a more anterior tilted position, or we sit and stand with the hips tucked under in an attempt to counteract the problem. Either way, if the pelvis is out of position it shortens our stride and restricts the ability to get the leg to swing behind the body when we walk. Taking a short stride that never goes behind the body only continues to strengthen the overdeveloped Quads and Hip Flexors, while the Hamstrings and muscles in the back of the body continue to weaken.
With tight Quads, there’s no balance for good body mechanics, functional fitness, and balanced muscle development between the front and back of the body. Not only does this muscle imbalance affect our hips, but it can contribute to back pain above the hip joint, and knee pain or foot pain below.
I am a big fan of using strength exercises to facilitate improvements for flexibility. But sometimes learning how to let go of our over-held Quadriceps and hip flexor muscles to stretch and release has to happen first so the muscles of the back and legs CAN lengthen more as you’re working on improving the muscle strength needed to take a longer stride, move the body in bigger ranges of motion, or reduce hip, back, knee, and foot pain.
Practice this hip-opening thigh stretch exercise at home, after a walk, run, or fitness workout, (and it wouldn’t hurt to get out of your chair during the day and take a moment to do a Quad stretch while you’re at work too!)
Take advantage of doing a daily Quadriceps stretch to help improve the flexibility and mobility of your legs, release tight hip flexors, keep your knees healthy, and begin bringing your body back into balance for better functional fitness.
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ 2.0 $195 Includes Fantastic Feet Book, Arch Activators (pair), Toe Bandz Kit (4 bands + mini massage ball), Toe Separators Kit (1 pair skinny & 1 pair wide), Super-Ankle Board + exercise booklet and video training program, Foot Fitness COMBO Exercise Selection Guide Booklet -- All in a convenient, portable mesh carry bag; PLUS the Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Fantastic Feet mini-foot fitness kit (sticks, stones, TheraBand, and mini-massage ball), RunFit Kit 2.0 Quick Reference Guide (laminated charts) (to help you pick the best Run-Fit training tool/exercises to get started, based on the foot-care issues you may be dealing with…), Run-Fit Kit backpack to keep everything together, easy to find, and ready to use for your at-home, and on-the-go workouts.
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $10 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $10 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $10 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $10 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $59 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $27 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $14 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George