You CAN Eliminate Back Pain with Pilates Core Exercises
Are you ready to kick your back pain problems to the curb?
Get ready to eliminate back pain… You can start feeling better fast!
Back pain is a significant problem in the USA. There can be a variety of different reasons to end up challenged with back pain problems, and it can be extremely aggravating to figure out how to feel better. But there are lots of different exercises that can be done to eliminate back pain, and Pilates can be an excellent choice in the process of improving posture, strength, flexibility, and developing healthy movement habits to enjoy life.
I was recently contacted by Natalie, at Runway Pilates to be a contributor to an article she was writing 11 Pilates Instructors Reveal the Best Core Exercises For Back Pain. It was awesome to be asked to share my insights. Then I realized that I needed to be succinct in my response! With my own personal low back issues, and having worked with lots of clients over the past two-plus decades of teaching Pilates, I’ve got so many thoughts to share on the subject of eliminating back pain problems.
There are LOTS of options to help your back feel better:
Just like any other health issue, there is not one “magic pill,” or one cure-all exercise that will be the quick fix for everyone who is trying to eliminate a back pain problem. In fact there are probably as many different exercises that can help as there are back pain problems that need to be solved… The challenge is getting to understand the right solutions and safest exercises for your body. Then gaining confidence in how to do them well to maximize results for a healthy, happy back.
While it sounds matter-of-fact, that if you just stand tall, breathe well, improve core strength, and maintain flexibility, that all your back pain problems will disappear. (There is a lot of truth in this!) The details of how you stand, sit, breathe, and move are key to affect lasting change.
Every BODY can do Pilates:
But not every Pilates exercise is good for you if you’ve got back pain. I’ve continued to see, over and over again clients who got started with Pilates because they were sick and tired of dealing with their chronic back pain problems. Most who embraced the changes needed, quickly become empowered to feel better by discovering how to listen to their body, becoming more aware of their good and bad habits, and learning how to pay better attention to what they can do that is safe and appropriate. And even more importantly, learning what to avoid (maybe forever, or maybe just until their back feels better.)
Eliminate Back Pain Faster with One-On-One Training and Support
It is difficult to see what you’re doing IN your own body. It is much easier to have someone else (an expert) help point out the what’s and why’s of misalignment, and muscle imbalances. By working closely with your favorite Pilates teacher, you can more quickly fine-tune your fitness and improve your health. Can you save some dough and do this is a group class, or just follow along with an online Pilates video? Better not… Be advised that if you are dealing with a back pain problem, one-on-one instruction will be the best way to help ensure you stay safe and have someone working closely with you to be sure you are doing the specific things your body needs to get better and eliminate your back pain problems. Getting well is an investment in your health. You can either complain and do nothing, or start searching for a mentor you trust, to help guide you to a healthy solution.
Discover what top Pilates experts recommend
What is my top tip to eliminate back pain? Check out the article 11 Pilates Instructors Reveal the Best Core Exercises For Back Pain to see what I contributed to this article along with insights from ten other great Pilates professionals. It’s awesome to see the diversity in tips and strategies you can use to help alleviate back pain.
And if you’re looking for more… be sure to checkout the other posts I’ve written with helpful hints on eliminating back pain, in the Back Pain section on the Centerworks blog.
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George