Rowing for Cardio and Health
Yesterday I switched things up for my regular aerobic workout and did my cardio on the rowing machine. Whew…I forgot what a great whole-body workout you can get on a rowing machine.
If you’re one to always head to the treadmill, bike, or elliptical machine – I’d encourage you to check out the benefits of adding even a few minutes of rowing to your aerobic workout program and here’s why:
- Rowing is definitely a whole-body exercise – your upper body, core and back strength is a huge part of the workout.
- Rowing can help improve your coordination, sense of rhythm/pacing, and body awareness.
- You can easily vary the intensity of your workouts
Work harder by:
- Increasing your speed & rowing faster.
- Pushing with your legs and pulling with your arms with more power and intensity.
- Rowing can help balance the strength of the front and back of the thighs to keep your knees safe and injury free. The glutes and quadriceps muscles assist in straightening the legs, the hamstrings work to bend the knees and return to your start position.
- In a less-than full weight-bearing position, rowing works the leg and hip joints in a full range of motion – which is beneficial for increasing joint range of motion and assisting with building bone density.
- If you don’t like doing sit-ups, or a lot of weight training…. Rowing effectively targets strengthening your abdominals and back muscles. If you do enjoy ab work and weights – you can put your strong muscles to good use and use rowing as a cross-training fitness activity.
- Rowing is fantastic for developing strong core muscles. If you do Pilates training, or other targeted core activities – rowing is a great additional workout activity to apply what you’ve been discovering about your body.
- If you don’t want to do a full 20-60 minutes of cardio on the rower… Row for 5 minutes as an excellent warm-up for your workout.
If you’re not used to rowing – start with 5-10 minutes and progress to a full-length cardio workout. I like a good 25-40 minutes of moderate paced rowing for a training session, or sometimes will alternate 5-10 minutes of rowing with other cardio or strength training activities for a great interval workout.
There are usually at least one or two rowing machines at every health club. (And chances are you won’t be waiting in line to get on one and start your workout!) Incorporate rowing into your weekly, or monthly workout plan, and enjoy the great benefits this fitness activity has to offer.
I would love to hear about your rowing experience! Drop me a comment and tell me what you’ve discovered about your body, you’re health, and rowing as a new cross-training activity in your weekly workout program. Find fun activities you love to do and get out and play to improve your whole-body health and fitness!
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- Stretch Out Strap™ (XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster) 18.95 Includes XL Strap + Exercise Training & Conditioning Poster
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George