The Pilates Mind-Body Connection – Unconscious vs. Conscious Awareness for Pilates Training & Life!
How much time throughout the day do you spend consciously aware of what you’re doing? Is it a couple of minutes, an hour, or most of your day? Or is it hardly ever?
A few years ago, I was working with one of my Pilates students, who had been training with me for quite a while, but never seemed to remember anything that we were doing. He had a routine, but I had to tell him every little detail, from the name of the exercise to how to do it, breath patterns, and equipment set up. Every workout felt like we were starting from scratch – he acted like he’d never seen the exercises before – and this had been happening on EVERY exercise for years!
While I usually am very patient with my students, one day I had a moment of utter frustration… and blurted out, “You know that Pilates is a mind-body exercise program, and using your mind means that you should know your exercises and the order you do them in for your Pilates workout program!”
He looked at me and said, “But I’ve always exercised so that I don’t have to think.” (As was obvious by our “Groundhog Day” experience during our Pilates sessions)
But think about how many people you see walking, running, swimming, lifting weights, or other fitness activities with their headphones on tuned into their music or favorite TV show with no awareness of body mechanics, support, or efficient movement technique.
And then something miraculous happened…
He came to his next Pilates session with a notebook in hand. It took us 3-4 training sessions to write out his program. He would do an exercise, then stop and take notes – the name of the exercise, repetitions, any particulars that he needed to pay attention to, and spring/equipment set up. Writing things down, helped him pay attention. He went home and typed his notes into the computer, and I think he may have actually studied his list in-between sessions! In no time, we were progressing much faster- because he actually recognized exercises and we could move more quickly through the basics for a warm-up, and focus our attention on new exercises and new goals.
I was so proud the day he started participation in our Open Gym program. Safe and confident to participate in solo workouts with his Pilates exercise list in hand, further assisted the learning curve for conscious awareness during Pilates. And this awareness began to creep into his running, swimming, and other workouts. Yippee!!! When you pay attention to what the body is doing, you have the opportunity to improve your technique.
If I think back to my first Pilates lesson. The exercises looked easy, but once I started, the realization of how much I had to think and strive to coordinate, breath and body movement, and I became consciously aware that I wasn’t quite as strong or flexible as I thought I was! It seems that most of my clients have a similar experience, in noticing how much they don’t notice when standing still, breathing, or doing other fitness activities.
I firmly believe that Pilates training is a springboard for increasing conscious awareness in all aspects of Life!
What we notice about our body, brain, and habits during Pilates, gives us an opportunity to improve these same habits during other moments of life, whether it’s at work, driving the car, doing chores around the house, or during sport activities, and other non-Pilates workouts.
Pay attention and make conscious decisions for everything you do.
See how quickly you’ll reap the rewards of your thoughtful conscious awareness to reach your goals and enjoy the benefits of living life to the fullest!
Drop me a comment! What areas of your life do you want to improve your consciousness? What steps are you going to take to help make it happen?
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat $40 Stimulate the foot reflexology points on the soles of your feet to release tension and stress and improve the fitness of your feet
- Pilates Walk – Tips, Techniques, and Exercises for a Healthy Stride 15.00 Quickly and Easily Maximize the Health Benefits of Your Walking Workouts
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ 2.0 $195 Includes Fantastic Feet Book, Arch Activators (pair), Toe Bandz Kit (4 bands + mini massage ball), Toe Separators Kit (1 pair skinny & 1 pair wide), Super-Ankle Board + exercise booklet and video training program, Foot Fitness COMBO Exercise Selection Guide Booklet -- All in a convenient, portable mesh carry bag; PLUS the Centerworks Acupressure Foot Massage Mat, Fantastic Feet mini-foot fitness kit (sticks, stones, TheraBand, and mini-massage ball), RunFit Kit 2.0 Quick Reference Guide (laminated charts) (to help you pick the best Run-Fit training tool/exercises to get started, based on the foot-care issues you may be dealing with…), Run-Fit Kit backpack to keep everything together, easy to find, and ready to use for your at-home, and on-the-go workouts.
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Foam Roller Fitness Exercise Tips & Core Training Techniques $50 80-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Teachers Video Training: Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $50 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Combo: Foam Roller Fitness & Foam Roller Training for Pilates Pros $85 Live Video Training by Aliesa George,PMA-CPT
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $10 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $10 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $10 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $10 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Posture Principles for Health $59 60-page study guide and DVD or Streaming Online Video
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $27 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $14 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George