Posture – Structural Spine Support for Whole-Body Health
The human body is the most amazing structure ever created! If our structure is properly supported, and all our muscles, bones, tendons, ligaments, and body systems are in harmony – we can move, work, and play with minimal effort and maximum enjoyment for optimal whole-body health and a truly healthy and happy life.
What Happens When A Back Is Out of Balance?
Kyphosis, Lordosis, and Scoliosis are three distinct posture deviations from a healthy well-balanced spine.
- Kyphosis is an excessive curvature of the upper spine. The chest muscles are tight and strong, the upper back muscles are weak and stretched. A lot of people end up with a Kyphotic spine as they get older, due to poor posture habits.
- Lordosis is an excessive arch in the lumbar spine. Weak abs can definitely be a contributing factor to the lower back being pulled out of alignment and into an excessive Lordotic curve.
- Scoliosis (abnormal curvature of the spine) can be genetic, or for many the structural alignment issues of scoliosis can actually be created over time through muscle imbalances and faulty movement patterns.
Whether you create unnatural curves in your spine from carrying your child on one hip, sit with your legs crossed, always using your dominant side for repetitive movements, play one-sided sports, or rest 1 arm on the console in your car when you drive…there are many “habits” of daily living we do that set our structure crooked and contribute to poor posture and movement habits. Perhaps it doesn’t get bad enough to physically change your spine, but do you experience knee pain? Hip pain? Low back pain? Shoulder or neck pain? All of these can be signs and symptoms of a body out of balance.
What Can We Do To Improve Our Structure, Posture, and Whole-Body Health?
Exercise is the easiest way to insure a healthy spine and good posture. Ideally exercises to improve structural support for the torso need to include exercises that work on stabilization of the spine, and exercises that work on functional movement of the spine for balanced muscle development and a healthy back.
- Spine stabilization exercises are exercises where the back and pelvis are held completely still and the arms and legs move.
- Functional movement exercises for the spine will have the back moving forwards, backwards, sideways, and twisting. The arms and legs might be still, or will also moving during these exercises.
A strong, healthy, stable core, along with the ability to articulate your spine one segment at a time from the tail to the head in ALL directions (bending forwards, backwards, sideways, and twisting) not only helps to keep the muscles of the torso strong and flexible, but it helps keep our organ systems healthy too!
Wellness Tips to Take Care of Your Structure for Great Whole-Body Health:
Exercise your feet, strengthen your core, maintain good posture and body mechanics, improve your flexibility, and eat healthy foods to maintain a healthy weight, get plenty of sleep, fresh air & sunshine, and drink lots of water. Learn to balance your work, rest, and play. Learn to balance your mind, body, and Spirit.
Improving your Posture habits will help train the muscles needed to improve your functional movement for a healthy spine. Make a lifelong commitment to take care of your “machine” to maintain its structural integrity and improve your good health!
- Become more aware of how you hold your structure.
- Spot check your standing and seated posture.
- Learn how to make simple improvements that will help keep your body in better balance for optimal whole-body health!
- Pulse Power! The Daily Dozen – 10 Minute Workout Plan $7.99 Epub (for eReaders like Nook, iBooks, Sony Reader or software like Adobe Digital Editions) or PDF File (for accessing directly from your computer)
- Pilates Arc Barrel Combo $189 Stamina® Pilates Arc Barrel, “A Barrel of Fun!” (Book or eBook) and Workout Video
- Pilates Arc Barrel $169 Stamina® Pilates Arc Barrel
- RunFit Foot Fitness Kit™ $159 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Circulator Reflexology Mat, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers and Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle
- The BIG Foot Bundle $125 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Foot Fitness Kit, Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD, Circulator Foot Reflexology Mat and Two Pairs of Toe Sox
- Baby Steps Bundle $59.50 Includes Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback, Therabands (Blue/Green) and Circulator Foot Reflexology Mat
- Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board Bundle $40 Includes Super Ankles Foot-Fit Board, 22-Page Exercise Spiral Bound Booklet and 41:20 "How-To" Exercise DVD
- Yamuna Foot Savers with DVD 59.95 2 Foot Savers with Workout DVD
- The Circulator: Foot Reflexology Massage Mat $39.95 Foot Reflexology Massage Mat
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout Audio $37 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout Audio
- 6-Dot Strategy for Effective Rotation of the Spine $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- How to Effectively Engage the Pelvic Floor to Help Strengthen the Core $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- 6 Simple Training Tips for Functional Movement at the Hips $35 60-Minute Video Training Presented by Aliesa George
- Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD $30 Pilates Magic Circle and Workout DVD
- Fantastic Feet! and Foot Fitness Kit Combo $30 Foot Fitness Kit and Fantastic Feet! 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Foot Fitness Kit $20 Foot Fitness Kit by Aliesa George
- Foam Rollers $20 Pilates Foam Roller in Three Styles
- Toe Sox $15 Black Pilates and Yoga Socks
- Therabands $10 Exercise Bands in a Variety of Four Strength and Resistance Levels
- Basic Pilates: The First 15 Matwork Exercises $12 37:30 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Beginner-Intermediate Pilates Matwork with Flow: 23 Exercises $12 41:10 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Intermediate Pilates Matwork Flowing Fitness Challenge: 35 Exercises $12 1:12 Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Magic Circle Pilates Matwork: Basic-Intermediate $12 65 Minute Workout on Audio CD or MP3
- Tips & Tricks for a Stress-Free Life $49 eBook and 52-Week eCourse
- Posture Principles for Health $79 60-page study guide and DVD/VHS
- A Barrel of Fun! Pilates Arc Barrel Workout $34.97 78-Page Spiral-Bound Book by Aliesa George
- Fantastic Feet! $20 95-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Return to Life Through Contrology $15.95 105-Page Paperback by Joseph H. Pilates
- Be FIT Journal $15 380-Page Paperback by Aliesa George
- Theme of the Day $15 37-Page Booklet by Aliesa George
- Centerworks® Pilates Training Manuals $225 Eight Pilates Teacher-Training “How-to” Manuals by Aliesa George
- The Barrels Manual $40 100-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- The Cadillac Manual $40 113-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- The Chairs Manual $40 74-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- The Reformer Manual $40 117-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- Basic Matwork Manual $25 68-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- Intermediate Matwork Manual $25 68-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- Advanced Matwork Manual $25 56-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George
- Supplemental Equipment Manual $15 57-Page Pilates Teacher-Training Exercise Manual by Aliesa George